The ConnectME Authority is a component unit of Maine state government whose mission is to facilitate the universal availability of broadband to all Mainers and help them understand the valuable role it can play in enriching their lives and helping their communities and businesses thrive.
Duties of the Authority include:
- Establish criteria defining unserved and underserved areas;
- Enhance communications technology infrastructure;
- Monitor wireless coverage in areas where the authority determines the quality of the coverage is inadequate;
- Expand the availability of broadband to residential and small business customers in unserved or underserved areas;
- Expand the availability of broadband with bandwidth, synchronicity, reliability and security adequate to serve business, education and enterprise consumers in unserved or underserved areas;
- Otherwise enhance the State's communications technology infrastructure in unserved and underserved areas;
- Collect, aggregate, coordinate and disseminate information and data concerning communications services and advanced communications technology infrastructure in the State;
- Track investment in advanced communications technology infrastructure;
- Continually assess the availability of and need for advanced communications technology infrastructure in unserved or underserved areas within the State;
- Identify and secure federal and other funding sources for broadband or wireless deployment or education;
- Identify opportunities for coordination among providers, consumers and state and local governmental entities, including coordination with the statewide emergency radio network; and
- Create and facilitate public awareness and educational programs to encourage
Nearly five years ago, approximately 86% of the state had access to high-speed Internet service with an adoption rate of approximately 40%. In the five years since the Authority was established, broadband access or availability has risen to over 91% with 73% of Maine households subscribing to some type of broadband service (compared to 68% nationally).
About the Authority
The ConnectME Broadband Authority consists of a board of five members, an Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, assistance from the Office of Information Technology and an Advisory Council. Learn more about the Authority Members and Advisory Council.
Some files below are posted in Adobe Reader and Microsoft Word. Adobe Reader files require the free Adobe Reader software. Microsoft Word files require either Microsoft Word or the free Word Viewer software.