Maine Foliage Home → When & Where to Visit
When & Where to Visit
Maine's state parks provide wonderful settings for fall leaf peeping. We've put together some suggestions for the best locations in each region of Maine, and when to visit each one for the best fall colors.
Click on a region of the map to learn when and where to visit or use the links listed on the menu at left or below.
- Northern (6 & 7) - Northeastern & Northwestern Maine, including Fort Kent, Caribou and Presque Isle
- Western (5) - Western Mid-Maine, including Greenville, Rangeley, Bethel
- Central (3) - Central and Southwestern Maine, including Bangor, Augusta, and Fryeburg
- Eastern (Mid-Coast & Downeast) (2 & 4) - Includes Houlton, Millinocket, Calais, Machias, Bar Harbor, and Penobscot Bay
- Southern (1) - Mid-Coast and South Coastal Maine, including Camden, Portland, Kennebunkport, and Kittery
Foliage Trip Tip
When planning a fall foliage trip, please allow time to leisurely leaf peep. Many of the roads you'll travel are two lanes and wind along our countryside through quaint inland and coastal towns. Take photographs from rest stops, stroll through the great Maine woods, and enjoy our beautiful fall experience.
* Represent peak conditions from north to south in zones 3,4 and 5 (north being the earlier date).