The Geology of the
A note about the bulletin
The Geology of the Two Lights and Crescent Beach State Parks area, Cape Elizabeth, Maine by Arthur M. Hussey II was originally published in 1982 and reflects the geologic understanding of the time. The bulletin went out of print in the late 1980's. Since 1982, interpretations of the geology of the area have changed somewhat, but the localities and features discussed in the bulletin will be of interest to anyone planning to visit the parks.
- The Geology of Two Lights State Park, Cape Elizabeth (PDF, 1.3Mb) - A more recent interpretation of the bedrock geology of Two Lights State Park. When reading this website, note especially that rocks described as the Cape Elizabeth Formation in the 1982 bulletin are now considered to be part of the Kittery Formation.
- Bedrock Geology of the Portland 1:100,000 Quadrangle, Maine and New Hampshire (4.3 Mb PDF) - a more recent map of the regional geology of the area.
- Bibliography of Maine Geology - use this website to search for other recent mapping and geologic investigations in the Two Lights and Crescent Beach areas.
Table of Contents
- The Cape Elizabeth Formation at Two Lights State Park
- Structural Features of the Cape Elizabeth Formation
- The Scarboro Formation at Crescent Beach State Park
- Migrating Continents and Spreading Sea Floors
- Glacial Features and Deposits
- Sea Level Changes and Beach Formation
Last updated on December 8, 2009