Forest Legacy Committee
- In 1994
- At the culmination of the work of the congressionally mandated Northern Forest Lands Council. The Council identified over thirty-five actions to reinforce the Northern Forest regions traditional patterns of land ownership and use, the first of which was to ensure the consistent and adequate funding by Congress of the Forest Legacy Program. This recommendation came at a time when both public and private efforts were growing to protect forest land in Maine from conversion to non-forest uses.
- To focus on acquiring conservation easements or fee interest in lands in order to protect the traditional uses and public values of Maines forests.
- Advise the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands on program policy.
- Recommend projects to be presented to Congress for funding through the national Forest Legacy Program.
Maine Forest Legacy Program Guiding Documents
- Forest Legacy Committee Members - PDF (22KB)
- FY 2014 National Scoring Guidance - PDF (33KB)
- The Modified Assessment of Need - MS Word Doc (4.5MB)
- Recent Funding Table by Fiscal Year for Maine Forest Legacy Projects - MS Word Doc (31KB)
- Project Status Map - JPG (866KB)
Current Proposed Projects
- Big Six Forest FY16 (PDF 7.3MB)
- Perham Stream (PDF 6.5MB)
- East Grand Watershed initiative Phase II - Weston (PDF 6.1MB)
Advisory Committee Meetings
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
|September 11, 2014 1:00 PM||Maine Forest Legacy Committee Meeting||1st Floor Conference Room - Harlow Building 18 Elkins Lane, Augusta, Maine 04333||Agenda (PDF 136KB)
Minutes (PDF 228KB)
Scoring Committee Report (PDF 206KB)
For more information, please contact:
Bureau of Parks and Lands
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0022
For more information visit the USFS Northeastern Area Forest Legacy program