Environmental Steward Positions
2015 Positions Details
- 1700 hour positions serve January 5, 2015 to November 20, 2015.
- Deadline for applications is November 7, 2014.
- 900 hour positions serve May 11, 2015 to November 21, 2015.
- Deadline for applications are March 20, 2015.
- MCC accepts applications year-round. They are considered for the next open term of service after receipt.
- View Positions
What is an Environmental Steward?
After successful completion of our 3-week training program you will be placed with a Maine federal, state or non-profit organization with all the skills needed to:
- Create new trails and rehabilitate existing trails
- Implement existing land management plans
- Recruit, train, and lead volunteers to create and improve recreational trail systems
- Establish a sustainable, dedicated community volunteer base
- Develop plans for future conservation projects
Terms of Service
- Approximately 10 months; a minimum of 1700 hours; Mid-January through mid-November
- Approximately 6 months; a minimum of 900 hours; Mid-May to November 8.
Living Allowance & Education Award Details
- 1700 hour positions receive a living allowance of $11,700 ($260/week for 45 weeks) and if eligible, an AmeriCorps education award of $5,645 upon successful completion of the program. Health coverage is available for 1700 hour positions and child care reimbursement is available to 1700 hour members, if eligible.
- 900 hour positions receive a living allowance of $6,240 ($260/week for 24 weeks) and if eligible, an AmeriCorps education award of $2,822 upon successful completion of the program.
- Other benefits include student loan forbearance and interest payment if eligible, experiential learning, a wide range of training and networking opportunities and a Maine State Park Pass.
Apply Now - Register & Apply Using AmeriCorps Application
For information on the application process contact:
Maine Conservation Corps
124 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
(207) 624-6085 or 1-800-245-5627 (Toll Free in Maine)
- Training Coordinator (45 weeks)
- DEP - Volunteer River Monitoring Program & Stream TMDL Program Environmental Steward
- Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park Environmental Steward
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refure Environmental Steward