Large Commercial Passenger Vessels (LCPVs)
PL 2003, ch. 650 provided for issuance of a general permit for the discharge of graywater, and mixtures of graywater and blackwater, from large commercial passenger vessels. "Large commercial passenger vessel" means a commercial passenger vessel that provides overnight accommodations for 250 or more passengers for hire, determined with reference to the number of lower berths.
- Pam Parker (207-287-7905)
- Maine statute, 38 MRSA 423-D (off-site)
- Maine statute, 38 MRSA 413 et. seq. (off-site), Waste Discharge Law.
- See also the Classification of Maine waters.
- Maine DEP rules Chapter 532, Large Commercial Passenger Vessels.
- Maine DEP rules Chapter 529, General Permits for Certain Wastewater Discharge. Describes certain procedures related to issuance of general permits, as well as terms and conditions applicable to all general permits.
- Maine DEP rules Chapter 523, Waste Discharge License Conditions. Includes general conditions applicable to all waste discharge licenses.
- See General Materials Page for additional rules related to the Waste Discharge Program.
Note: Pam Parker is coordinating information submission issues with U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety office in Portland.
- Notice of Intent Form (2 pages)
- Generic QA/QCP Plan (20 pages)
- Generic Vessel Specific Sampling Plan (VSSP)(pdf file)(5 pages)
This general permit is effective from January 1, 2006 to January 1, 2011.
- All commercial vessels over 79 feet excluding fishing vessels must apply for coverage by the Environmental Protection Agency's Vessel General Permit. More information on EPA's General Permit . (off-site)
Supplemental materials directly related to the general permit
- Appealing a Commissioner's Licensing Decision. Note: the general permit was filed with the Board of Environmental Protection on 12/28/05.
- Class SA Waters (including maps indicating both SA Waters and proposed No Discharge Areas)
- No Discharge Areas (NDAs)
- Spill Reporting from Large Commercial Passenger Vessels (fact sheet)
- Standard conditions (draft handout)
- Wastewater labs certified by Maine (list) (pdf file)
Additional supplemental materials below. See also materials on Ships & Boats Page.
- Definitions. Terms used in Chapter 650.
- Fact sheet (from permit issuance)
- See General Materials Page for additional materials related to the Waste Discharge Program.