Steps to choosing Child Care - Take the Time to Make the Right Choice for Your Family
From a publication of:
Maine Department of Health and Human Services,
Early Childhood Services - Child Care and Head Start
Phone ahead and ask questions
- Do you have an opening?
- What days and hours is care available?
- What ages of children are accepted?
- What is the group size? Number of care givers?
- Can I visit anytime?
- What is the cost?
- What is included in the cost? (For example, meals, diapers, etc.)
- Do I pay when my child does not attend?
- How are fees charged? Hourly, weekly?
- Can I get child care on holidays and vacation days?
- Is there any financial assistance available?
- Is the program licensed or certified?
- Does the program have a Quality Certificate?
- What kind of insurance do you carry?
- What is your policy for dealing with sick children?
- Are meals and snacks provided?
- Are parents asked to do things for the program?
- Are there regular parent conferences/meetings?