The Forest Legacy Committee
- In 1994
- At the culmination of the work of the congressionally mandated Northern Forest Lands Council. The Council identified:
- over thirty-five actions to reinforce the Northern Forest region’s traditional patterns of land ownership and use, the first of which was to ensure the consistent and adequate funding by Congress of the Forest Legacy Program. This recommendation came at a time when both public and private efforts were growing to protect forest land in Maine from conversion to non-forest uses.
- To focus on acquiring conservation easements or fee interest in lands in order to protect the traditional uses and public values of Maine’s forests.
- Advise the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Division of Parks and Public Lands on program policy.
- Recommend projects to be presented to Congress for funding through the national Forest Legacy Program.
Maine Forest Legacy Program Guiding Documents:
Forest Legacy Committee Members - PDF (22KB)
FY 2014 National Scoring Guidance - PDF (33KB)
The Modified Assessment of Need - MS Word Doc (4.5MB)
Recent Funding Table by Fiscal Year for Maine Forest Legacy Projects - MS Word Doc (31KB)
Project Status Map - JPG (866KB)
Current Proposed Projects
Cold Stream Forest - PDF (5.3MB)
Moosehead Seboomook - PDF (11.7MB)
East Grand Watershed Initiative - PDF (3MB)
Advisory Committee Meetings
|Date and Time||Location||Additional Infromation|
|February 13, 2013
|Department of Agriculture Conservation & Forestry
Harolw Building 1st Floor Conference Room
Agenda ( Word 47.0kb)
Minutes ( Word 49.5kb)
|September 6, 2012
|ACF Committee room 206
Burton Cross Building, (Office building directly behind the Capitol Building).
Agenda (Word 46.5kb)
September Minutes ( Word 46.4kb)
|May 16, 2012
|Army Reserve Center 300 Hildreth St N # 200
Bangor, ME 04401
Agenda ( Word (52.0kb)
May Minutes (Word 10.9kb)
FLIS Track Data ( Word 53.5kb)
|February 27, 2012
|18 Elkins Lane
Agenda ( Word 49.5kb)
February Minutes (Word 44.5kb)
For more information contact:
Forest Legacy Committee
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04330
For more information visit the USFS Northeastern Area Forest Legacy program
Many of these documents are available for downloading in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). If you cannot open these files, go to www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html to download free Adobe Reader® software for viewing and printing PDF files.