Home to Native
Americans dating back at least one thousand years, Colonial
Pemaquid later became the site of a very early English
outpost and fishing station.
Today, Colonial Pemaquid is a State Historic Site owned
and managed by the Division of Parks and Public Lands, part of
the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. The Friends
of Colonial Pemaquid is a non-profit organization
that provides important assistance to the state in caring
for and interpreting this site.
Fort William Henry - Built on the site of two previous forts, the stone structure here was built
in 1907 as part of the 300th Anniversary of Colonial
Pemaquid. It is a replica of the 1692 Fort William Henry,
the third fort constructed on this site. The tower of
the fort contains interpretive panels and artifact exhibits
as well as a beautiful view of the area from the roof.
House - This restored Federal-style
home dates to 1790 and contains a research library,
archaeology lab, interpretive information and artifact
storage from the many archaeological digs that have
been conducted at Pemaquid.
Village - This collection of stone building foundations reveals
the locations and size of structures from various periods
of the village's history.
Burial Ground - Gravestones in this burial ground date back well into
the early 1700s and this is likely the site of burials
for settlers dating back to the original British arrival
in the 1620s.
museum houses dozens of exhibits on the history of Pemaquid
from ancient Native American life here through the colonial
period. It also includes a large diorama of the Pemaquid
The Angel Gabriel was a galleon that was destroyed by a hurricane while anchored at Pemaquid in 1635. In 2010, descendants of the survivors dedicated a bronze plaque at the site commemorating the wreck.
A Gift Shop operated by the Friends of Colonial Pemaquid offers history-related items to visitors. It is located in the Fort House.