MEEC Meeting Agenda - September 14, 2012
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM; Burton Cross State Office Building, Room 104
- Reach consensus on language regarding the permissible set or sets of professional practice standards for teachers and principals;
- Propose language regarding uniformity or flexibility of rubrics;
- Begin to develop guidelines regarding the collection and use of other non-quantitative student learning and growth measures as evidence of classroom teacher and principal performance;
- Review the information about the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium and how some districts in Maine are using student learning and growth measures in their performance evaluation and professional growth systems;
- Determine questions and areas of interest to be addressed by presentations at the next MEEC meeting; and,
- Determine a schedule for subsequent meetings.
9:00 AM - Welcome, introductions, and overview of the agenda
9:05 - 8/24 meeting summary and updated decision-making matrix
9:15 - ESEA Flexibility Request Update
9:20 - Confirm professional practice standards language developed at 8/24 meeting (refer to handout for most recent proposed language)
- Regarding the phrasing specifically addressing professional practice standards (not rubrics or assessment methodology) for teachers (and principals), is there agreement among the members for the MEEC
- If not, what alternative language is needed to reach consensus?
9:40 - Discuss whether every district must use the same rubrics (without alterations) to assess classroom teachers’ (and principals’) performance against the standards adopted by the district?
- If consensus among the members of the MEEC cannot be reached on the preceding question:
- What alternative guidelines must districts follow to assess their classroom teachers’ and principals performance against the standards they have adopted?
- What are some concrete examples of alterations districts might propose under such guidance?
- What are the pros and cons of providing flexibility from using a standard set of rubrics?
10:30 - Break
10:45 - Develop guidance for districts regarding evidence (other than observation) that may be used to evaluate performance against professional practice standards
- What evidence should districts consider as they assess a principal’s (or teacher’s) performance against the standards adopted by the district?
- What guidance should be provided to districts?
Consider breaking into 2 groups to discuss (one focused on principals, the other on teachers), then return to the full group to share ideas and consider possible recommendations. Smaller groups could meet for 45 minutes, then return to the full group.
11:50 - Comments from the public
12:00 PM - Lunch
12:45 - Informational presentation on the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) assessments; Questions and Answers
1:30 - Informational presentation on use of student learning and growth measures in Maine districts
2:00 - Preliminary discussion regarding measures of student learning and growth in a performance evaluation/professional growth system for teachers and principals in Maine
2:30 - Determine schedule for next meetings
2:45 - Comments from the public
3:00 - Closure