The Maine Department of Education is hosting three forums and providing online feedback opportunities for the public to weigh in on its plan for improving the state’s accountability system.
The Department will submit a formal request for flexibility under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act to the U.S. Department of Education by Sept. 6. Maine’s proposal ensures all students are college- and career-ready; identifies, recognizes and supports schools in a differentiated system that acknowledges their past performance, holds them accountable for growth and provides customized support and interventions; and promotes effective instruction and leadership.
- Read the proposal (PDF, 290KB). Take a look the Maine DOE's overview of its request for ESEA flexibility.
- Offer feedback. Comment on the waiver request by taking our public survey.
- Participate. Join us at one of our public forums, scheduled for Aug. 20 online, Aug. 21 in Westbrook, and Aug. 23 in Brewer.
- Online forum, Monday, Aug. 20, 6 to 7:00 p.m.
- Westbrook forum, Tuesday, Aug. 21, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
View a recording of the online forum (Flash*, approx. 68 minutes)
Commissioner Bowen's presentation slides (PDF, 186KB)
ESEA flexibility turnaround principles per U.S. Department of Education (PDF, 62KB)
Maine residents join first forum online to discuss ESEA flexibility draft
Public forum, Westbrook Middle School cafeteria
471 Stroudwater St., Westbrook
- Brewer forum, Thursday, Aug. 23, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Public forum, Brewer Community School cafeteria
92 Pendleton St., Brewer
- Join the Discussion. Visit the Maine DOE Newsroom to share your thoughts in an ongoing online discussion about a new accountability and improvement system for the state's schools.
- Stay Informed. Subscribe to the weekly Commissioner's Update from the Department of Education to stay on top of the news.
- Contact Us. Send us your recommendations and feedback.
How has Maine DOE involved the public and stakeholders?
Not only do we want to hear from you, we are required to. As part of our application, Maine must provide evidence that we have involved stakeholders in a significant way in the development of our proposal.
Here are some of the ways we have been doing that:
- Participation in Steering and Work Groups
- Portland forum focuses on fair, accurate assessment, Maine DOE Newsroom
- Students seek voice in accountability, Maine DOE Newsroom
- Online forum on ESEA (Requires Flash*). Watch the webinar: Commissioner Bowen hosted an online forum to collect feedback in preparation for Maine's request for ESEA Flexibility. | Download Commissioner Bowen's presentation (PDF, 1.49MB) | A transcript will be posted soon.
- Participants join online ESEA flexibility forum, Maine DOE Newsroom
- First forum yields ideas on ESEA flexibility, Maine DOE Newsroom
- Students offer thoughts on accountability, Maine DOE Newsroom
- Ed Commissioner asks public for ideas on school accountability and recognition, Press Release, Maine DOE Newsroom