The following case studies describe the steps school districts took to implement a proficiency-based, learner-centered instructional system. Featured schools share their best practices, with the hope of serving as models for other Maine districts to reform their instructional systems.
- RSU 20 – Belfast/Searsport Area Schools
- RSU 16 – Mechanic Falls, Minot, Poland
- Western Maine Education Collaborative
- RSU 2 – Kennebec Intra-District Schools
- RSU 18 – Messalonskee & China Schools
- RSU 57 – Massabesic Schools
Sincere thanks to the dozens educators, teachers, board members, parents and administrators who agreed to be interviewed for these case studies. Thanks also to colleagues who aided in research design and who read early drafts. Thanks especially to the Nellie Mae Educational Foundation for supporting this research.
—Gary Chapin, Research Associate