The Long Conversation
When four school districts were consolidated to form RSU 2 in 2009, educators, parents and students worked together toward a vision of student-centered learning. The experience has been difficult, but noticeable improvements in student acheivement and engagement have made it worthwhile, according to principals and teachers.
- Overview & Summary. RSU 2's transition to student-centered learning was the result of strong leadership, professional development and community involvement.
- Case Study: The Long Conversation, or "It's hard, but worth it. Did I mention that it's hard?"
- Video - Finding Your Way: The Learner-Centered Dashboard. Students use Educate learning software to show them where they need to go and where they've been in terms of their educational goals.
- Video - Bringing It All Together: The Senior Capstone Project. Before graduating, students present projects on subjects about which they are passionate, demonstrating the value of a learner-centered model.
- The Takeaway. A short conversation with RSU 2 Superintendent Virgel Hammonds about the school's journey to a standards-based system.
- One Educator’s Experience of Reform. An interview with Hall-Dale Middle School teacher leader Dan Crocker on transitioning students, and himself, to a standards-based system, including takeaways for other teachers in transition
- The Long Conversation Continues. 18 months after the Center first wrote about RSU 2, we revisited the district, sitting with Student Achievement Coordinator Matt Shea to catch up on their continued implementation progress.
- RSU 2 website
- Video: Monmouth Academy English - Behind the Veil. Produced by Monmouth Academy.
- Video: The Box. Produced by Monmouth Academy.
- Standards-Based Progress Report - Elementary School (PDF, 161KB)
- Shared Vision Meeting Notes (PDF, 52KB). Notes from a public shared vision meeting in Dresden, ME (RSU 2).
- Visioning Meeting Public Notice (PDF, 62KB)
- Establishing Document for Ad Hoc Committee (PDF, 47KB). School board document providing guidance for the establishment of an ad hoc committee for standards-based, student-centered learning.
- First Year School Board Goals (PDF, 72KB). RSU 2 school board goals in their first year after consolidation.
- Letter of Invitation to Visioning Meeting (PDF, 55KB)
- Next Steps from Visioning Meeting (PDF, 47KB). Suggestions from the public after a district-wide meeting.
- Strategic Plan PDCA - Summer 2011 (PDF, 117KB). RSU 2 "Plan Do Check Adjust" (PDCA) document for initial strategic plan.
- Affinity Diagram Notes from Visioning Meeting (PDF, 54KB)
- The Vision of RSU 2 (2010) (PDF, 70KB)
- Elementary School Progress Report (PDF, 962KB)
- Explanation of Progress Report (PDF, 120KB)
This Center for Best Practice is a collaboration between the Maine Department of Education and the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, made possible by the contributions of the Maine schools that share their stories.