RSU 2 – Kennebec Intra-District Schools
When four school districts were consolidated to form RSU 2 in 2009, educators, parents and students worked together toward a vision of student-centered learning. The experience has been difficult, but noticeable improvements in student acheivement and engagement have made it worthwhile, according to principals and teachers.
- Overview & Summary. RSU 2's transition to student-centered learning was the result of strong leadership, professional development and community involvement.
- Case Study: The Long Conversation, or "It's hard, but worth it. Did I mention that it's hard?" (PDF, 342KB)
- Video: Finding your way: The learner-centered dashboard. Students use Educate learning software to show them where they need to go and where they've been in terms of their educational goals.
- Video: Bringing it all together: The senior capstone project. Before graduating, students present projects on subjects about which they are passionate, demonstrating the value of a learner-centered model.
- The Takeaway. A short conversation with RSU 2 Superintendent Virgel Hammonds about the school's journey to a standards-based system.
- RSU 2 website
- Video: Monmouth Academy English - Behind the Veil. Produced by Monmouth Academy.
- Video: The Box. Produced by Monmouth Academy.
- Standards-Based Progress Report - Elementary School (PDF, 161KB)
- Shared Vision Meeting Notes (PDF, 52KB). Notes from a public shared vision meeting in Dresden, ME (RSU 2).
- Visioning Meeting Public Notice (PDF, 62KB)
- Establishing Document for Ad Hoc Committee (PDF, 47KB). School board document providing guidance for the establishment of an ad hoc committee for standards-based, student-centered learning.
- First Year School Board Goals (PDF, 72KB). RSU 2 school board goals in their first year after consolidation.
- Letter of Invitation to Visioning Meeting (PDF, 55KB)
- Next Steps from Visioning Meeting (PDF, 47KB). Suggestions from the public after a district-wide meeting.
- Strategic Plan PDCA - Summer 2011 (PDF, 117KB). RSU 2 "Plan Do Check Adjust" (PDCA) document for initial strategic plan.
- Affinity Diagram Notes from Visioning Meeting (PDF, 54KB)
- The Vision of RSU 2 (2010) (PDF, 70KB)
- Elementary School Progress Report (PDF, 962KB)
- Explanation of Progress Report (PDF, 120KB)