RSU 57 – Massabesic Schools
For more than a decade, RSU 57 has been moving toward student-centered learning through curriculum reform and the establishment of professional learning communities. Rather than radically departing from old teaching tactics, RSU 57 has slowly and meticulously implemented a system that promotes success for all students.
- Overview & Summary. RSU 57 is committed to fundamental organizational change, made possible by the enthusiasm of teachers and administrators.
- Case Study: "The Logical Next Step" (PDF, 708KB)
- Video: Assessing their own work: Students as active participants. Students choose how they want to research informational targets and then share what they've learned with the class.
- Video: To a whole new level: Demonstrating learning. Students practice math skills with an original Monopoly game board, demonstrating the benefits of RSU 57's "voice and choice" model.
- The Takeaway. A short conversation with RSU 57 Superintendent John Davis about his district's learner-centered education system.
- RSU 57 website
- RSU 57's Core Beliefs (PDF, 305KB)
- Curriculum Documents. Guides to RSU 57's planned implementation of the MCCL-designed Measurement Topics.
- Elementary Math A/B (PDF, 264KB)
- Elementary Math C (PDF, 141KB)
- Elementary Reading (PDF, 257KB)
- Elementary Writing Processes/Conventions (PDF, 268KB)
- Middle School Math (PDF, 219KB)
- Middle School Reading/Writing (PDF, 190KB)
- Middle School Writing Processes/Conventions (PDF, 151KB)
- High School Math (PDF, 128KB)
- High School Reading/Writing 1 (PDF, 219KB)
- High School Reading/Writing 2 (PDF, 157KB)
- Reading Foundations (PDF, 186KB)
- RSU 57 Mission (PDF, 261KB)
- Mission & Vision Brochure (PDF, 435KB)
- Teacher & Principal Evaluation Plans. Newly designed supervision plans and evaluation tools to be used in formative and summative observations of faculty and principals.
- District Supervision Plan (DOC, 219KB)