2009-2012+ Future Plan
Adopted Nov. 18, 2009
Mission/Purpose:?To build a sustainable regional collaborative that meets the needs of the organization while also meeting the needs of the individual members.
In order to further the Mission, the WMEC Vision for the next three to five years is to:?
Improve student performance by working together to ensure effective and efficient use of resources (human, fiscal, technological, etc).
In order to ensure success, members of the WMEC commit to:
- Keeping the focus on students, their needs and their performance while ensuring rigor.
- Building a trusting and respectful climate of collegiality and collaboration, recognizing that past practice often supported competition.
- Taking small steps toward our goals and celebrating accomplishments
- Being focused and purposeful while recognizing the need to be flexible and responsive
- Balancing the needs of individual members with the needs of clusters of districts and the entire WMEC organization, supporting mutual benefits
- Being accountable to ourselves, each other and our stakeholders
- Being risk-takers ready to take action
- Continuous improvement, adaptation and collective problem solving
- Keeping the focus on students, their needs and their performance
- Recognizing climate changes within the state and their impact on Collaboratives
Governance and Strategic Direction
The Board of Directors/the work of the Executive Director and the Plan for the organization require a balance between clarity/detail and being nimble enough to react and make decisions when necessary.? All must buy into the Plan and continuously check the alignment of the actions with the mission.? As a non-profit organization with 501 (c) 3 status WMEC must ensure all legal requirements are met and the bylaws are followed.
Goal:? To design and implement organizational structures that support the operation of the Collaborative
- Regular board meetings
- 09-10 ? August 12, November 18, January 20, March 24, May 12
- Annual meeting with election of officers; review and input on year end report, etc
- Establish and use committee structure as appropriate
- Participate in overall planning, implementation and monitoring process
- Meet legal requirements of the organization
- Annual Financial Audit
- Annual Meeting/Election of Officers (Fall meeting)
- Employ a part time Executive Director
Goal:? To allocate time and resources to strategic priorities
- Include strategic level work in meeting plans/agendas
- Review and feedback on Year End Reports
- Research/Develop next 3-5 year Futures Plan
- Use input from an Advisory Think Tank charged with providing outside, creative perspectives to the strategic work of the organization.
Communication and Community Relations
In order to make sound decisions required to do the work of the WMEC successfully, there must be a commitment to clear, concise and compelling communication.? Informative and meaningful messaging is also necessary to help others appreciate what we do.
Goal:? To engage in multifaceted communication strategies that both informs and supports WMEC members and their stakeholders
- Maximize use of technology
- Tandberg System ? use for meetings, course delivery across region, etc
- Regional training on using technology to improve teaching and learning
- Coordinate/facilitate communication among stakeholders
- Keep printed and electronic materials up to date
Goal:? To actively promote the goals and activities of the organization
- Individually commit to building community relations
- Publish and disseminate, to a variety of stakeholder groups and organizations an electronic ? newsletter.? The primary audience for the newsletter are school board members and the local? communities? (August, November, February, May)
In order to achieve the mission of becoming a sustainable organization, members must be responsive to both individual and collective needs.? Share ownership, responsibility and commitment must be nurtured and encouraged if a new reality is to emerge.?
Goal:? To develop the collective ability, skills, knowledge, motivation and resources to act together in order to bring about positive change
- Board participation in learning opportunities
- Regularly deal with organizational issues and strategic priorities
- Meeting and/or Board evaluations.
Stakeholder:? “A person who has an interest in the operation and performance of a company.” (Webster)? The WMEC must work to establish communication channels, mutual understandings and natural alliances with stakeholders at the local, regional, State and National levels.?
Goal:? Form strategic alliances in order to achieve goals, improve effectiveness and efficiencies and strengthen connections.
- Partner with outside organization on initiatives and opportunities (SPOC Grant; WMMSC Grant; CIPS Academies)
- Commit to ongoing public relations efforts?????
- Newspaper articles
- Presentations as requested (MSBA Fall 09)
- Seek out and establish new partnerships (MANP; UMF Math/RTI; University of Buffalo;
- Work with local, state and national elected officials
Monitoring Program and Service Delivery
Meaningful engagement in dealing with strategic issues is paramount to success.? The board of directors play a key role in this success by having a clear understanding of programs/services and monitoring their progress in furthering the goals of the organization.
Goal:? To provide quality programs and service that meet the ongoing, changing needs of WMEC members
- Use information and data to make program/service decisions
- NWEA; Library Automation; VHS winter check-in
- Continuously evaluate the needs of the organization and clusters of districts (APEX; Powerschool Inform)
- Research, design and when appropriate establish Shared Operation Centers
- Gather information at each Board meeting about areas of potential collaboration deemed appropriate at that time.(ex. Special Education, Legal Services, etc.)
With a commitment to continuous improvement comes the need for data driven decision making systems.? These structures, along with celebrations and public sharing of “what we learn” on our journey will keep the focus on achieving the mission/vision.
Goal:? Commit to achieving the goals of the organization, including measuring attainment and judging success of those goals (Plan ?Do-Study-Act Cycle).
- Use measures that include qualitative and quantitative data
- Training evaluations
- Board Assessment
- Collect and use measures that? include data on efficiency and effectiveness
- Board review of results, including year end reports
- Publish/share information about WMEC results, activities, lessons learned, etc.
- Summary of recommendations for Appropriations Committee; University of Buffalo report
Resource Development and Oversight
There must be shared fiscal responsibility for the organization with resources clearly linked to the priorities of the Plan.? Success will be achieved only if the organization has the resources it needs to deliver on its mission.
Goal:? Create and maintain a sustainable financial infrastructure
- Document financial savings and enhanced educational opportunities of WMEC initiatives
- Conduct annual outside audits and share results with Board
- Annually engage in Board level budget approval process
- Board members actively explore and develop new resource generating opportunities for the organization
Goal:? Identify, organize and maximize local, State and national resources
- Partner with other strategic alliances
- Offer to partner with the MDOE to convene “collaboratives” from across the state to build networks and increase capacity.
- Lobby and campaign with legislature, government, state agencies, etc for support of collaboration.
- MDOE literacy and technology grant;
Legislature ? Appropriation Suggestions; legislative breakfast
This Center for Best Practice is a collaboration between the Maine Department of Education and the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, made possible by the contributions of the Maine schools that share their stories.