Approval Renewal Instructions
Please complete all required sections on the application and submit the application and the appropriate fee. Incomplete application packages will be returned.
1. Complete the top section of the Approval Renewal Application (DOC, 37KB).
2. At the bottom of the form, provide an explanation to questions to which you answered "yes."
- If you answered "yes" to Question 1: for each conviction, attach a brief explanation stating when and what the conviction was. If further information is requested, you will need to provide attested copies of the Judgment and Commitment papers (including probation conditions). These documents may be obtained from the Clerk of Courts where you were convicted. This includes OUI and negotiating a worthless instrument.
- If you answered yes to Question 2 and/or 3: attach an explanation for each situation.
- If you answered "yes" on a previous application and there have been no additional convictions, submit a statement that there have been no new convictions since the previous "yes" was submitted.
3. Sign the application.
4. Enclose the $15 approval card renewal fee. This is a non-refundable fee. Please make check or money order payable to "Treasurer, State of Maine."
5. If you have not been continuously employed and properly credentialed over the last five years in a Maine school system (generally substitute teaching and coaching are not considered continuous employment), you need to submit an additional $24 criminal history record check renewal fee. Note: the application must be to our office no later than 30 days from the expiration date of your previous approval or the $24 fee will apply, regardless of the continuous employment. Please submit money order, bank check or credit card for the $24 made payable to "Treasurer State of Maine." If you are paying for the approval renewal card and the criminal history record check renewal, you may submit a money order, check or credit card in the amount of $39 to cover both costs.
Note: Processing could take four to six weeks. Delays will occur if your application package is not complete or if we need to wait for the results of your criminal history record checks.