Educational Technician Renewal
Educational Technician renewal forms should be submitted during the fall that your certification is up for renewal. No conditional authorizations can be issued to someone who does not have the three credits. When you return your application to the Certification Office, please enclose:
- The completed application
- Documentation of three credits of approved study
- Applicable fee(s)
1. Download and fill out the application (DOC, 35KB).
2. Answer the three questions and sign the back of the application.
- Yes Questions. If you answered “yes” to Question 1: For each conviction, enclose a brief explanation stating when and what the conviction was. Include documentation if possible. These may be obtained from the Clerk of Courts where you were convicted. You must include any conviction for which you were found guilty and paid a fine, served time in jail or on probation, paid restitution, lost a license, or performed public service. This would include OUI.
If you answered “yes” to Questions 2 and/or 3: Enclose an explanation for each situation.
If you answered “yes” on a previous certification application and there have been no additional charges filed, submit a signed statement listing prior convictions and that there have been no new charges since the previous “yes” was submitted.
3. Sign the application.
4. The fee for renewing your educational technician authorization is $25. You may pay by check, money order or credit card. Make checks payable to "Treasure, State of Maine." The fee is non-refundable.
5. Criminal History Record Check Renewal (CHRC): Every five years a criminal history record check renewal will be conducted on individuals who have not been continuously employed and properly credentialed in a Maine school system over the last five years. You do not need to get fingerprinted again. If you have not been continuously employed or properly credentialed over the last five years in a Maine school system, you need to submit a fee of $24 for the criminal history record check renewal. Please submit money order or bank check for the $24 made payable to “Treasurer, State of Maine,” or you may pay by credit card. This is in addition to the $25 renewal fee above ($49 total).
If all or part of the continuous employment is in a private school, please submit a verification letter from the headmaster. For those employed in Maine public school units, we use the MEDMS school reporting system to determine continuous employment.
6. Submit three credits of approved study taken during the lifetime of the authorization that is expiring.
- If the authorization lapsed prior to submitting this renewal application, renewal credits must not be older than five years, based on the date the renewal application is received by the Certification Office.
- Documentation of the three credits must be one or more of the following:
1. official transcripts issued by a college (we do not accept copies, grade reports or computer printouts);
2. CEUs or clock hours issued by a college or professional entity;
3. a letter from the local teacher support system chair stating the number of recertification credits or the number of clock hours of professional development training;
4. a letter from the local educational technician authorization support chair person stating the number of clock hours of professional development (check with the superintendent's office) has been completed.
- 15 hours = 1 credit = 1.5 CEUs
Renewal processing could take 8 to 10 weeks. Delays will occur if your application package is not complete or if we need to wait for the results of your fingerprint criminal history record checks.