Full Certificates Renewal
Only those employed under provisional/professional certificates should follow this process. Renewal forms will be sent to you via U.S. mail. When you return your application to the Certification Office, please enclose:
- The completed application
- Official transcripts, CEUs, or documentation of clock hours of professional development
- Applicable fee(s)
- Signature of support chair (if applicable)
1. Check your name and address at the top of the application; make corrections either above or below the existing information.
2. If you have completed an additional degree since your last renewal, enter the information on the appropriate lines. Enclose an official transcript showing degree and date conferred.
3. If you are employed in Maine under the certificate to be renewed (Type 32, 33 & 34): Acquire the recommendation and signature of the certification support system chairperson on the back of the application, submit the completed application, and the appropriate non-refundable fee(s); we do not need separate documentation of your six renewal credits. If employed in a private school in Maine that does not have an approved support system, submit the completed application, six credits of approved study (see #4), and the appropriate non-refundable fee(s).
4. If you are not employed in Maine under a professional certificate (Type 34): Submit six credits of approved study taken within the last five years. One credit = one semester hour = 1.5 CEUs = 15 clock hours. Submit only official transcripts for college courses. We do not accept audited courses. Also submit the appropriate non-refundable fee(s). If sending college transcripts, we need official transcripts only. Do not send grade reports, faxed transcripts, or copies of official transcripts.
5. If you are not employed in Maine under a provisional certificate (Type 32): Complete steps 1, 2, 6 and 7 and submit the appropriate non-refundable fee(s). No credits are required.
6. Answer the three questions and sign the back of the application.
- Yes Questions. If you answered “yes” to Question 1: For each conviction, enclose a brief explanation stating when and what the conviction was. Include documents if possible. These may be obtained from the Clerk of Courts where you were convicted. You must include any conviction for which you were found guilty and paid a fine, served time in jail or on probation, paid restitution, lost a license, or performed public service. This would include OUI.
If you answered “yes” to Questions 2 and/or 3: Enclose an explanation for each situation.
If you answered “yes” on a previous certification application and there have been no additional charges filed, submit a signed statement listing prior convictions and that there have been no new charges since the previous “yes” was submitted.
7. Please draw a line through certificates or endorsements not being renewed (lines 26-30).
8. Do not send a copy of your current certificate.
Processing could take 8 to 10 weeks. Delays will occur if your application package is not complete or if we need to wait for the results of your fingerprint criminal history record checks.