Types of Transcripts

Official transcripts differ from ordinary copies of your transcript. If you need to have an official transcript sent to a third party, such as a prospective employer, a certification body or another school, be sure to specify that information in your request. The Maine DOE will send an official copy to any address that you specify. It will arrive in an envelope that has been signed on the flap. The transcript itself will bear an embossed stamp of the State Seal as well as the signature of the Department's higher education specialist. 

If you do not specifically request an "official" transcript, the Maine DOE will send you an unsigned photocopy of your academic record.

Note: If an academic institution or prospective employer has requested an "official" transcript, do not unseal the envelope. Deliver it to the recipient unopened. If the envelope is open, many organizations will no longer consider the document to be official.