National & Regional Accreditors
Accrediting bodies recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- U.S. Secretary of Education Accreditation. These regional and national accrediting agencies are recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as reliable authorities concerning the quality of education or training offered by the institutions of higher education.
- CHEA Accreditation. Directory of CHEA-recognized organizations for the current academic year.
- Regional Accreditors.The following regional accrediting bodies are recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or CHEA.
- The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Serving Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands.
- New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Inc. Serving Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Serving Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Note: Regional accreditation in the north central region is done by two Commissions.
- Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Accredits elementary and secondary schools as well as non-degree-granting post-secondary schools
- The Higher Learning Commission. Accredits degree-granting colleges and universities.
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. Serving Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Serving Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiano, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Serving California, Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Commonwealthof the Northern Marianas, Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands and Republic of Palau.