Literacy for ME: Community Literacy Teams
On this page:
- Comprehensive Community Literacy Planning Guide
- Literacy Team Formation
- Developing a Vision
- Community Literacy Profiles and Inventories
- Goal Setting
- Action Planning
Comprehensive Community Literacy Planning Guide
- Literacy for ME Regional Community Literacy Workshop. The PowerPoint used in workshops presented to introduce the Literacy for ME initiative and to assist communities in beginning to develop comprehensive literacy plans. PPT, 7.85MB | PDF, 1.1MB
- Literacy for ME Workshop Materials Packet (DOC). A collection of activities utilized in the regional workshops for community literacy teams.
- 2010 Legacies Now Community Literacy Planning Guide. A comprehensive community literacy planning guide based on the 2010 Legacies Now Community Literacy initiative in British Columbia, Canada.
- Simple Steps: A Workbook to Help You Plan a Community Literacy Project (PDF). A workbook that walks through the steps involved in planning a specific community literacy project. Concepts can be easily transferred to community literacy plan development.
Literacy Team Formation
- Potential Community Literacy Team Members. A list of ideas for potential community members to include on a Community Literacy Team.
- Norms for Team Work. A list of generic norms for Community Literacy Team work.
- Initial Meeting Guidance. A list of key questions to address during the initial Community Literacy Team meetings as well as a planning checklist for these meetings.
- Literacy Reflections Introductory Activity. An opening activity for team members that encourages them to connect with a quote about literacy and share that connection with other team members.
- Spheres of Influence. This activity helps team members define their individual roles related to the Literacy for ME initiative and how their roles can contribute.
Developing a Vision
- Activity 1: Carousel. Helps team members examine critical questions about community literacy that will surface ideas to include in a vision statement.
- Activity 2: Story Tapestry. Encourages team members to identify the feelings associated with literacy to help shape a vision statement.
- Activity 3: Visioning Statements. Encourages team members to articulate a vision for literacy for different roles represented within the community.
- Activity 4: Gallery Walk. Encourages team members to articular a vision for literacy for different age spans in the community.
Community Literacy Profiles & Inventories
- Literacy for ME Needs Assessment. A comprehensive tool for conducting a community literacy profile and inventory of literacy resources. DOC, 269KB
- 2010 Legacies Now Asset Inventory (DOC). Tools for organizing literacy assets and for examining them to determine literacy strength and needs within the community.
- Consensus-Building Activity (RTF, 84KB). This activity helps teams determine the priority goals for their community literacy plan.
- Mind Maps (PDF, 95KB). This activity is a process for developing objectives that support the goals of the community literacy plan.
- Literacy for ME Community Literacy Action Planning Template (DOC). An action planning template for community literacy teams to use to craft their plans.
- Literacy for ME Community Literacy Matrices. A tool that maps out key steps to engage in across the development and implementation of a comprehensive literacy plan. The matrices are organized by essential components of comprehensive literacy planning.
- 2010 Legacies Now Community Literacy Action Plan. A sample community literacy plan from a community in British Columbia, Canada.