Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First
"Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First" is a strategic plan that sets out objectives and action steps for building an education system in Maine that meets the needs of all learners, from early childhood into adulthood, and prepares them for college, careers, and civic life.
Education Commissioner Stephen Bowen released a first draft of the plan on Jan. 17, 2012, based on input he received from visits with educators, parents, students, and others across the state during a listening tour in 2011. The plan is a working document: The Maine Department of Education is accepting feedback from the public and will refine the document during the winter and spring months of 2012.
"Education Evolving" lays out a plan to transition Maine schools to a model in which students have more of a role in organizing their education and more choice in deciding how they master academic standards.
The plan is shaped around five core priority areas that address the various elements of building an education system focused on the needs of all learners:
- Effective, Learner-Centered Instruction
- Great Teachers and Leaders
- Multiple Pathways for Learner Achievement
- Comprehensive School and Community Supports
- Coordinated and Effective State Support
Read the Plan
- Navigate the plan index with links to all sections
- View the plan's five Core Priority Areas and related subcategories
- View the Strategic Plan Framework: Building an Education System from the Learner Out
- Download a copy of Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First (PDF, 1 MB)
Have Your Say
The Maine Department of Education wants to hear from the public about its thoughts on "Education Evolving: Maine's Plan for Putting Learners First." The Department is offering Maine residents opportunities to share their ideas about the strategic plan online.
- Join the Discussion. Visit the Maine DOE Newsroom to share your thoughts on the strategic plan as part of an ongoing online discussion.
- Stay Informed. Receive the weekly Commissioner's Update from the Department of Education to stay on top of news about Maine's strategic plan for education.
Strategic Plan Release
Commissioner Bowen released "Education Evolving" on Jan. 17, 2012, at the Capital Area Technical Center in Augusta. The release event featured five students who spoke about their own experiences when they had control over their learning. Browse the links below to read and see video of the students' remarks, and to see photos from the release event.
- Making a career out of a passion, Remarks by Brooklyn Pinkham of Capital Area Technical Center
- Short-term objectives to meet long-term goals, Remarks by Kaytie Scully of Sumner Memorial High School
- Personal learning plans, maximized learning, Remarks by Morgan Horn of Sumner Memorial High School
- Learning faster, more creatively with technology, Remarks by Gareth Robinson of Auburn Middle School
- 'Voice and choice' in learning, Remarks by Maggie Stokes of Williams Elementary School
- Photos from the strategic plan release event
- Recognizing education's evolution, Blog entry by Commissioner Bowen, Jan. 18, 2012
- Commissioner unveils education plan, Press Release, Jan. 17, 2012
- Challenging times, and a path forward, Blog entry by Commissioner Bowen that outlines the strategic plan