Restraints and Seclusion
The Maine Department of Education adopted a comprehensive revision of rules governing restraint and seclusion of students (Rule Chapter 33) which took effect July 1, 2012. Changes to the rule, effective April 29, 2013, have been made in accordance with the requirements of legislative Resolve 2013, Chapter 8.
Under the rule, a certain number of staff in schools and other covered programs must receive training regarding the use of restraint and seclusion. The training must be obtained from training programs approved by the Maine DOE.
- Department seeking applications for training programs
- Training program application and requirements
- List of approved training programs in the use of restraints and seclusion
Rule Chapter 33: Rule Governing Physical Restraint and Seclusion
- 2014 Report to Legislature per Resolves chapter 8
- 2012-13 Data Reported By Schools (as of 9/23/13)
- File 2013 annual report of restraint and seclusion data (as of 9/23/13)
- List of SAUs that have yet to file 2013 restraint (as of 9/23/13)
- Complete SAU list filed on 2012/13 data (1/24/14) xls
Resources & Materials
- Rule Chapter 33 Timelines/Requirements (RTF, 95KB)
- Emergency Prevention and De-escalation Strategies (RTF, 1.74MB)
- Non-Regulatory Guidance (RTF, 1.8MB)
- Guided Tour of the Original Chapter 33 Regulations (Flash*, approximately 90 minutes). Webinar explaining revisions to Chapter 33.
- Maine DOE Restraint & Seclusion Incident Report Form (DOC, 31KB). Covered entities are not required to use this form to record incidents of restraint or seclusion, but proper completion of this form will ensure that the incident information required in Rule Chapter 33 is recorded.
- Maine DOE Rule Chapter 33 Questions and Answers
- Management of Challenging Behaviors: Resources