Restraints and Seclusion
The Maine Department of Education adopted a comprehensive revision of rules governing restraint and seclusion of students (Rule Chapter 33) which took effect July 1, 2012. Changes to the rule, effective April 29, 2013, have been made in accordance with the requirements of legislative Resolve 2013, Chapter 8.
Under the rule, a certain number of staff in schools and other covered programs must receive training regarding the use of restraint and seclusion. The training must be obtained from training programs approved by the Department of Education.
- Department seeking applications for training programs
- Training program application and requirements
- List of approved training programs in the use of restraints and seclusion.
Rule Chapter 33: Rule Governing Physical Restraint and Seclusion
Resources and Materials
- Guided Tour of the Original Chapter 33 Regulations (Flash*, approximately 90 minutes) - Webinar recorded May 31, 2012, explaining revisions to Chapter 33.
- Maine DOE Restraint & Seclusion Incident Report Form (MS Word, 31KB) - Covered entities are not required to use this form to record incidents of restraint or seclusion, but proper completion of this form will ensure that the incident information required in Rule Chapter 33 is recorded.
- Maine DOE Rule Chapter 33 Questions and Answers
*In order to view Flash presentations, you will need to have the Adobe Flash Player loaded on your computer. Most PCs are already equipped with this program; if your computer does not have the Flash Player, or you wish to upgrade, you can download the program for free by clicking on the icon below.