Home → Maine School Information
Maine School Information
Looking for a Maine school in your area? Hoping to get in touch with the local school superintendent or school principal? Want to know what it means for your district to be an "alternative organizational structure?" Use this page to find that information and more.
Contacting Maine's Schools
- Directories of Maine Schools. Look for Maine schools and school systems by name, municipality, county, school administrative unit and superintendent region.
- Maine Schools on the Web. Find your local school and school district online. This page also offers access to online links for private schools and Maine colleges and universities.
- Superintendent and School Unit Search. Use this online application to search for contact data for superintendents by name, town and school administrative name.
- School Principals in Maine
- Create Your Own Mailing Labels Online. Looking to get the word out about something to Maine schools? Use public data collected by the Maine Department of Education to print mailing labels.
- Alternative Education Programs Contact list
About Maine's Schools
- School Administrative Unit Definitions. Curious about what it means for your local school district to be a "regional school unit," or "alternative organizational structure?" This page provides a breakdown of all of Maine's school governance structures and lists of all school districts by structure.
- Public Data About Maine Schools. Access the Maine Education Data Management System (MEDMS) for public data about Maine school staff -- including educator evaluation methods in use, average salaries, and information on where Maine's teachers attended college -- contact information for Maine schools, and more.
- School System Summary Data. This summary data include total numbers for school administrative units by type of governance structure and total numbers of approved public and private schools by grade level category.
- Schools That Have Opened and Closed. Find out which public and private schools opened and closed within the last 10 years.
- Map of Maine School Administrative Units. View the boundaries of Maine's 164 school units. These maps print in 11 x 17 size. View graphic in JPG format. | Download PDF.
- School Administrative Units That Do Not Operate Schools. Some Maine school units do not operate schools. These units, however, have school boards and superintendents and pay tuition to nearby school systems to educate their resident students. View the list in PDF.
- School Units with All-Day Kindergarten. View a list of Maine school districts that offer all-day kindergarten. View the list in PDF.
- School Units with Alternative Education. View a list of Maine school districts that offer alternative education programs. View the list in PDF.
Accreditation of Maine Schools
Many Maine schools, both public and private, participate in the accreditation program operated by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. To receive accreditation, schools must meet specific standards in the areas of core values, curriculum, instruction, assessment, school culture and leadership, and school and community learning resources.
The accreditation process includes a period of self-study and a site visit by a committee of educators from across New England. This process generally takes place every 10 years.
The following Maine schools are accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges: