General Education Intervention

See our list of commonly used acronyms

May a special education staff member be used as a consultant or be involved in an informal observation of a student who is in the Response to Intervention (RtI) process?

Yes, a special education staff member may serve as a consultant by informally observing the student and providing oral feedback.

Under MUSER, can a student who has an active IEP under one disability be referred to a Student Assistance Team (SAT) for another concern not addressed in the current IEP?

What role does RtI play with a special education child, especially when universal screening in Tier 1 may indicate concerns not being currently addressed under the child’s IEP?

Can students who qualify for special education in one area and not in another (i.e. speech and language but not behavior) be addressed through the RtI tier system for the area in which they will not be receiving special education services?

Children who are eligible for special education under MUSER are eligible to receive specially designed instruction and whatever related services, supplementary aids and services, and accommodations and modifications the IEP team deems appropriate. The IEP Team is the only entity empowered and obligated to determine which, if any, supports and services will be included in the child’s IEP. Therefore, any concerns regarding issues not addressed in a child’s IEP should be referred directly to the IEP Team.

In response to concerns not addressed in the IEP, the IEP Team may consult with the SAT or RTI Team, and may even decide to implement accommodations and modifications that appear similar, if not identical, to Tier 2 and 3 general education interventions. However, these interventions must never be employed as a means of “qualifying” the child for additional supports and services. (Added September 2011)

Return to MUSER Topics