Federal Audit Requirements
Department of Education Federal Audit Requirements for School Administrative Units and Private Non-profit Agencies:
Any non-Federal entitites that expend $500,000 or more of Federal awards in a year are required to obtain an annual audit in accordance with the Single Audit Act Amendments of 1996, Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-133, "Audits of States, Local Governments and Non-Profit Organizations," the OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement and Government Auditing Standards.
OMB Circular A-133 "Audits of States, Local Governments and Non-Profit Organizations"
- OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement 2011 - (for 2011 Programs)
- OMB Circular A-133 Compliance Supplement 2010 - (for 2010 Programs)
Here is a link to a brochure entitled: "Single Audit Basics and Where to Get Help" http://harvester.census.gov/fac/cfoBrochure2005.pdf
- The Federal Single Audit Report is due within nine (9) months after the end of the audit period.
Request for Extension:
- The school administrative unit or its auditor must request an extension from the Federal government if the Federal Single Audit report will not be submitted within nine months.
- The written request for an extension for filing the Federal Single Audit report must be submitted to:
U.S. Department of Education
Post Audit Group
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202
phone (202) 401-1823
Penalties for non-compliance:
- Penalties in accordance with Office of Management and Budget Circular A-133, Section_.225 Sanctions
Penalties in accordance with 34 CFR, Section 80.12 - Special Grant or Subgrant Conditions for "High-Risk" Grantees
Penalties in accordance with 34 CFR, Section 80.43 - Enforcement
- Withholding a percentage of Federal awards until the audit iscompleted satisfactorily;
- Withholding or disallowing overhead costs;
- Suspending Federal awards until the audit is conducted; or
- Terminating the Federal award.
Please direct any questions to:
Fiscal Review and Compliance Team:
Heather Neal or Stephanie Wright
Department of Education
23 State House Station,
Augusta, Maine 04333
Phone: (207) 624-6863 or (207) 624-6865
Fax: (207) 624-6791