About the Bureau of Warden Service
The Bureau of Warden Service is established within the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. It is equal in organizational level and status with other major organizational units within the department or its successors. The bureau is administered by a director who is immediately responsible to the deputy commissioner. The director is the Game Warden Colonel and is employed pursuant to section 10103, subsection 3 and Title 5, chapter 59, which are applicable to this position. The director possesses full authority and responsibility for administering all the powers and duties of the bureau, subject to the direction of the commissioner and except as otherwise provided by statute. The responsibilities of the bureau include, but are not limited to: [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (new); c. 614, §9 (aff).]
- General enforcement. Enforcement of laws or rules as designated by this Part, or as specified;
- Wildlife and fisheries enforcement. Enforcement of laws and department rules pertaining to the management and protection of inland fisheries and wildlife resources as further designated by section 10353;
- Snowmobile, watercraft and all-terrain vehicle enforcement. Enforcement of laws and department rules pertaining to the registration and operation of snowmobiles, watercraft and all-terrain vehicles;
- Search and rescue. The coordination and implementation of all search and rescue operations as specified under section 10105, subsection 4;
- Safety. Assistance with programs for hunter safety and for the safe operation of snowmobiles, watercraft and all-terrain vehicles;
- Data collection. The collection of data as needed for the management and protection of the inland fisheries and wildlife resources; and
- Other. Such responsibilities as specified in state law.
The Warden's Creed
Recognizing the responsibilities entrusted to me as a member of the Warden Service of the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife of the State of Maine, an organization dedicated to the preservation of the fish and wildlife laws of Maine, I pledge myself to perform my duties honestly and faithfully to the best of my ability and without fear, favor or prejudice. I will wage unceasing war against violation of the fish and game law in every form and will consider no sacrifice too great in the performance of my duty. I will obey the laws of the United States of America,and of the State of Maine, and will support and defend their Constitutions against all enemies whomsoever, foreign or domestic. I will always be loyal to and uphold the honor of my organization, my state and my country.