The Maine Fishing Guide
How to get started with MDIFW's Maine Fishing Guide Google Earth application:
Once you have launched the Google Earth application you can choose the various map layer options from the menu at the left and you can obtain additional information by clicking on the icon of interest.
The Maine Fishing Guide was developed by the Fisheries Division of the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to assist anglers in locating Maine's most common sportfish and to help plan for your next outdoor fishing adventure.
This Google Earth application allows anglers to readily locate principal lake and pond fisheries for coldwater species and bass; as well as the presence of other warmwater sportfish species identified as principal fisheries or present. The fish species data layers are periodically updated by the Department. We have also included several other useful Google Earth layers developed by MDIFW, other State agencies, and private entities.
We plan to periodically add additional layers as they become available or based upon requests from our angling community. We think you will enjoy this user friendly resource guide and hope that it helps with your next fishing trip to or within the State of Maine.
Please Note: Users should periodically delete the old version from their 'Places → My Places' menu on Google earth and upload again from our website to obtain current updates. It is important to delete the old files in the 'Places/My Places' menu and rerun the application. If files are not deleted, the updated files simply show up below the original files under 'temporary places.' Temporary files may not be retained if you simply close out of Google Earth and most users think the application failed to work, because they are still trying to open the older files.
Here's a listing of our current data layers in the Maine Fishing Guide:
- Lake Sportfish Listings
- Heritage BKT Waters
- MDIFW Facilities
- MDIFW Regions
- County Lines & Names
- Town Lines & Names
- Public Boat Launches
- Lake Depths
- Conservation Lands
- Topographic Map Overlay
- Maine Sporting Camps
- Maine Campgrounds
- Maine Fishing Shops
- Maine Guides
- The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is only providing this data to be used in the Google Earth application on the user's computer. We are not responsible for installing or maintaining Google Earth software products.
- The Google Earth imagery dates provided do not necessarily represent the date the image was captured but show the date the imagery was processed and deployed.
- This data is for visual representation only and may not contain all data that is available. For more information contact MDIFW directly.
- All information depicted is as accurate as avialable data allows.
- While we have tried to use or work with reputable associations, data layers pertaining to private entities is for planning purposes only and does not represent any endorsement by the State of Maine or the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions feel free to Contact Us