For the Public
Maine InfoNet Board Minutes, July 30, 2008
Maine State Library Conference Room
1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
- Approval of minutes May 28 meeting (forwarded to Board for e-mail approval)
- James Jackson Sanborn: Update, preparation, first few weeks agenda
- Arriving August 7 to get settled into house he bought in downtown Orono
- Officially begins August 20
- Can begin communicating via e-mail prior to start date
- Willing to be involved in hiring of new agency technology officer prior to start date
- Board support – welcome with gift basket/flowers, reception at UM
- Orientation – weekly conference call with Executive Committee; get constituent meetings on his calendar, e.g. Minerva Board, URSUS, Larger Libraries, etc.
- James reports to the Board but is a University of Maine employee. Joyce is representative of Jim Breece. Contract is signed by Jim & Gary. Board should have more contact with Jim Breece – suggested scheduling a Board meeting in Orono or Bangor to facilitate his involvement.
- Board needs to set strategic priorities for James.
- MIN and James at upcoming events
- Reception at Maine Libraries Conference (Rich will contact Molly Larson) – contact Anne Davis about table in vendor area (approved expenditure of $275) – panel program about Maine InfoNet (Clem will contact Molly)
- Tri-district council meeting at Augusta Civic Center on October 3 – should plan to have a MIN information table
- Next Board meeting August 27th in Blue Hill – welcome James and recognize Barbara for her work as Interim Director – arrive in time for lunch in a local restaurant
- Send of letter of thanks to the Bangor Public Library Trustees for allowing Barbara to serve as the interim director
- Search for open position status and plan
- Six applicants – Will readvertise
- Review committee – Clem & Judy will work with Gary
- Give packet to James when he arrives
- York Village MIN offices
- Work is being done on the office space – need to get computers and furnishings for James
- Staff moving from Belfast Hall in Bangor at the same time
- Balcony will remain; need to purchase a refrigerator; microwave already there.
- Other academic program offices are located in York Village units – parking is adjacent
- Mailing address is Suite 58, 5784 York Village, Orono 04469
- Expressed appreciation of Joyce’s effort to pull this together
- Janet Waldron has been instrumental in making this happen at no cost to MIN Board
- Interim Exec Director report
- Concern about the ticketing system currently being piloted
- Marilyn is working on a grant for digitization/preservation.
- Invite Ken Difiore of Portico to meet with MIN Board about digitization/preservation possibilities that would make sense for Maine
- Stats questions
- Gary had to make significant budget cuts including LSTA funds – Minerva cataloging support cut by 50%. Need to address cataloging issues. Where does it fit in the priorities? We aren’t the only ones dealing with this problem. Larger Libraries meeting – OCLC mention of possible solution – talk with Steve.
- III Negotiation on contract renewal
- Concern about the effect of cost on Minerva libraries. Karl Beiser is researching contract history.
- Need to bring James into the process as soon as possible
- Hope to have a new contract in the fall
- Board member seats
- Minerva Board re-appointed Judy
- HSLIC – David is in touch with current Chair
- New Century Grant
- Need to form a committee to develop the program
- Board Committees or task groups and working structure with James
- Create task groups to address strategic priorities – Cataloging, Future Finances, Next Generation Library System
- May be difficult to come up with one solution – need to develop pilots, look for funding sources, etc.
- Other Business
- Rich and Barbara were tasked to work on a new Mission Statement – they have a few suggestions but weren’t clear about purpose
- Maine InfoNet -- Helping Maine’s libraries connect patrons with ideas; Helps through Shared technologies all Maine libraries serve patrons better.
- Succinct – elevator message – tag line.