How To Avoid Common Cataloging Mistakes
Please avoid the following:
- Entry of incorrect item or bib location values.
- Omission of input library, initials, language, country or material
type in the bib record.
- Failure to enter a value for non-filing characters, i.e. leading
articles, in both the 2nd indicator of the 245 field and the SKIP
fixed field. Also, incorrect values -- often resulting from
not counting the space after a leading article.
- Typos in barcodes. Note that character prefixes and suffixes
- Use of multiple spaces between a leading article and the second
word of the title.
- Incorrectly specifying whether a subject heading is a Library of
Congress Subject Heading (LCSH), a Medical Subject Heading (MESH)
or a local subject heading.