For the Public
MaineCat Transactions -- Requesting & Lending
Between a Minerva Site and a Non-Minerva Site
Guide to Procedures
This procedure description is meant for use by staff at Minerva libraries
in online requesting and lending through the Maine InfoNet Statewide
Catalog. Herewith a brief description, followed by the details
that will only occasionally be of interest...
Transactions In Brief
- The patron requests through the MaineCat web OPAC, http://mainecat.maine.edu
- The lending library prints INN Reach Paging
Slips, retrieves item, checks it out using Millennium Circulation
INN Reach... Checkout, ships it.
- The borrowing library checks item in, puts
on holdshelf, notifies patron, checks item out to patron, checks
item in when it is returned, ships back. Lending library checks in to conclude the transaction.
Transactions in Detail
- Patron makes request in MaineCat Statewide
- Patron can cancel from View Patron Info if lending library
has not yet acted on request.
- Minerva authenticates patron on name and barcode, confirms there
are no blocks on borrowing priviledges and patron is in good standing.
- Item status is set IR Requested
- Owning library
- ... prints INN Reach Paging Slips daily using Millennium Notices
- ... makes *sure* that slips printed correctly before saying YES to "Did
Paging Slips Print Correctly? Y/N". (Once cleared, paging slips
cannot be retrieved.)
- ... retrieves items from shelf.
- ... follows transfer/cancel procedure below if
the item cannot be sent.
- Patron's library
- ...regularly prints Hold Cancellation Notices, informs patron of
cancelled requests accordingly.
- Item has status IR PAGED after paging slips are printed.
- Owning library selects INN Reach mode, then clicks
Check Out button, then scans item barcode.
- Minerva says "IR00:[date]: requested by [patron rec number] for
pickup at "[library]".
- Click OK.
- Minerva says "Item has status IR PAGED and has been cleared."
- Click OK.
- Minerva says "Send book to above patron at [system name]".
- Owning libary encloses paging slip, highlighting
Checkout is the only part of the transaction that uses a special INN
Reach function rather than normal circulation functions.
- Patron's library receives item, scans it in Check
- Minerva says (for example) "Barcode 39999999999999 was found as
399999999999999ursu. Continue using record for 399999999999999ursu?"
- Click YES.
- Minerva says "REMOTE SITE item from [system name] requested by [patron
- Click OK, put item on hold shelf.
- Patron's library notifies patron using one of these
a. Mailing lower half of Paging Slip.
b. Calling based on information on Paging Slip.
c. Print and send Hold Pickup Notices
- Item now has status IR RECVD.
- If you do not use Hold Pickup Notices, you should still occasionally
(once a week?) print them to your email address in order to clear them
from the system.
- When patron barcode is scanned, Minerva says "1 INN Reach item ready
- Patron's library scans item barcode.
- Minerva says "Barcode [x] was found as [xy]. Continue using record
- Click YES.
- Minerva says "Item has status IR RECVD and has been cleared."
- Patron's library checks out item to local patron
in normal manner.
June 15, 2012 return it immediately,
without checking it out, using character-based system, menu path C
A O R [barcode]
- If Minerva doesn't recognize barcode, enter it using menu path C
A O B [patron barcode] [item barcode]
- Patron uses item, returns it.
- Patron's library checks in item in normal manner.
- Minerva says "Barcode [x] was found as [xy]. Continue using
record for [xy]?"
- Click YES.
- Minerva says "Item belongs to [system name]: Do NOT check-in;
- Click CHECK-IN.
- Minerva says "Item belongs to [system name]. Print Transit
- Patron's library inserts Transit Slip in item and
- Status of item is now IR RETURNED.
- Owning library receives item, checks it in normally.
- Minerva says "Item has status MELINK OFF SITE and has been cleared." Reshelve
- If you receive an INN-Reach request for an item and if it is missing, or otherwise
unavailable, please cancel the request. The INN Reach software will seek an available copy at another library. If none can be found, a true cancellation will be generated by the system and a Hold Cancellation notice will go to the requesting library.
- Transferring holds is not an option under the Agency Model; if you attempt to do so, you will get a message saying, "Sorry, hold can't be transferred to an item from a different agency."