Minerva Executive Board Meeting
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Maine State Library
Present: Steve Norman, Shelly Davis, Karen LaForgia, Alisia Revitt, and by polycom from EMCC Janet Blood, Cindy White, James Jackson Sanborn,
Meeting called to order at 10:03
Steve asked for a motion to approve minutes. Shelly made the motion and Cindy 2nd the motion. Motion to accept minutes passed.
Minerva Technical: Alisia
- Venice will be attending IUG next week and James and Venice will both attendload table training. That will make 3 people in the office that will have the load training.
- Z39 database no longer offers Denver Schools.
Maine InfoNet: James
- Our library support specialist position has been filled by Tim Pellett. He will begin April 26, 2010. Marilyn Lutz will be retiring at the end of this fiscal year. That position will be redefined to more digital technology and digital collections. James will be at the ICOLC (International Coalition of Library Consortia) convention in Chicago for the week of April 19.
- Marvel database has Serial Solutions’ Summons product. When James gets a URL, it will be forwarded to all. When it goes live, it will be available at the top of the Marvel page and maine.gov/onesearch.
- Audiobook service had nine new sites that will be going live in May. Added 200 titles at the end of March. Approximately 60 titles per month should be added in the future. There will be another library training for libraries using
this audiobook program on April 27 at 3:00.
- Jay emailed the report all to executive board members. We received the 1/2 payment from Portland Schools. All Minerva monies have been transferred to a special state account, coded to ensure they will remain distinguishable from other state accounts. Jay will receive invoices, sign off on them, send them to Linda Lord, who will be the official signator.
Cataloging and Circulation Committees:
- Recommendations will be sent out to cataloging and circulation lists for further discussion.
- Delivery: Dean Corner
Through rest of April to the end of May, Freedom Express will be monitoring traffic to assess if our numbers match the volume they are delivering. Linda Lord will be dialoguing with the company.
- Nonprofit status: James
Draft bylaws for nonprofit status need to be typed and filed. The InfoNet board of directors will be the initial board for the nonprofit. The nonprofit board meetings will be tacked on to end on InfoNet Board meetings.
- Revision of Bylaws: Steve
Steve is ready to appoint committee to revise bylaws.
- Agreement to Participate: James had a meeting with III new representative outlining our future growth/needs. Representative said he will take those questions back to III. A meeting is arranged in Chicago next week to discuss those issues.
- Process for developing policies and implementing changes: We seem to be on the right path.
- Transition from AACR2 to RDA (Resource Description and Access): Focuses on multi-format works. The challenge will be to get old records and new records to “play nicely”.
- System wide continuing training: Alisia will send out a survey to determine training needs before Users Council.
- Policy on patron registration information: Martha forwarded information on patron records from 2007. The recommendation at that time was for more information to be required in patron record.
- Policy on new scopes: No one is getting new scopes right now. It will become an issue when we add new libraries. At that time, we will be able to open it up to libraries
wanting new scopes.
- Election: There was one library candidate running for each open position. Steve Norman and Betsy Pohl will be the public library representatives. Lisa Auriemma will be the academic representative. Liz Doucett, Steve Norman, and Martha Ott were the board members whose terms expired.
- Plan for Users Council meeting May 19. Janet will bring brownies, others will bring refreshments.
- OCLC may be restricting access to its catalog records at a future date. Further discussion of this issue might be needed in the future.
Motion to adjourn at 11:45. Cindy made the motion to adjourn, Janet seconded the motion.
Respectfully Submitted by Karen LaForgia