Minerva Executive Committee Meeting
Maine State Library
September 8, 2010
Present at Maine State Library: Betsy Pohl, Kevin Davis, Jay Scherma, Cyndi Burne, Karen LaForgia, and Steve Norman
Attending through videoconferencing: James Jackson Sanborn, Janet Blood, and Cindy White
Meeting called to order at 10:05
James Jackson Sanborn (Maine InfoNet):
Agency Licenses - There are 4 free licenses that are not being used and there are 4 that will be freed up for use per a conversation with III. He will be meeting with them at the end of the month and any new needs we have should be forwarded to him before his meeting.
We need to compile an idea of the actual costs will be incurred with adding a new library to the system – migration fees, etc…
Using an actual library or creating a fictitious library
Steve made a motion that we begin investigating cost from III to have an actual de-identified library to join Minerva.
Betsy seconded the motion.
Vote passed - all in favor.
Discussion still ongoing with adding ebooks to audio books service information out to libraries to use as informational wrappers
James Jackson Sanborn (Minerva Technical):
A number of libraries having a clear holdshelf function is not working properly. Still working on this issue.
Camden and Paton Free Library are having problems with Patron Authentication.
Lists are running very slowly – a call has been made to III to investigate. Any libraries that are not having trouble with lists – let them know so they can see what is happening.
James reporting for Judy (Maine InfoNet):
Incorporated in Maine as a charity, filing as a 501C3 status moving forward.
A grant for developing a statewide collection development process
Jay Scherma (Finance)
Still working on process with the state on reporting the accounts accurately.
We have received payment from 55 of the 58 libraries.
See attached report
Cyndi Burne (Circulation Standards):
Committee has been working on a Best Practices Manual
The Circulation Committee has posed the question to the Executive Board about the repercussions to libraries when the established protocols are not followed.
This goes back to Agreement to Participate and the By-laws revision. These are issues that need to dealt with in the revision.
Does anyone know where the common Minerva ILL Loan rules policy is located?
…or the minutes from all previous meetings???
There was a retreat at end of July and discussion centered on material types, item and the survey they will be sending out to Minerva libraries.
Talked to circulation and cataloging committee for a best practices sheet(s)
Cataloging standards committee will be creating survey
Patron Record Info
Questions posed to committee:
Where do you enter the Jr or Sr or the 3rd in the patron record? Is it possible III provides a title field we are simply not using it? We will look into that issue.
Should we require a physical address when mailing address is a PO Box? That is a local issue.
Should inactive patrons be purged after (5?) years with exception of patrons with billed items? Five years was agreed upon.
There was a discussion on the issue of patrons creating new accounts at several Minerva libraries with a history over fines and unreturned items. It is highly recommended that libraries check the Minerva system for duplicates when registering new patrons.
Jay: Discussion of budgetary factors that are going to affect the proposed budget. Do we need to do something about cataloging costs? Should we get an OCLC membership for the consortium?
Paid position for training? Betsy recommends waiting for feedback from cataloging survey to see the needs of Minerva libraries and continue the training discussion then.
Server migration? Percentage of budget for contingencies?
James will talk to Pat Moriarty regarding the OCLC membership for the consortium.
Users Council Meeting tentatively scheduled for November 10 in Topsham if it is available.
Agenda items for next meeting:
Cyndi will try to get the Best Practices document completed to show at Users Council
Steve will work on By-laws presented to board next month to be presented
Next meeting: October 13 in the MLS Studio, from 10:00am to noon.
Jay Scherma made motion to adjourn Seconded by Betsy Pohl.
Meeting adjourned at 12:00
Minutes Respectfully Submitted by