What is the purpose of SOLAR?
SOLAR makes visible
the collections of libraries not utilizing an online system capable of
being tied directly into the MaineCat Statewide Catalog for online
requesting and lending of material.
Benefits of Joining
- Part of Statewide Resource: Items added to SOLAR are automatically added to the MaineCat Statewide Catalog, making your library an active partner in statewide library resource sharing for the benefit of those who use and support your library.
- Requesting: Local library
staff have access to electronic interlibrary loan requesting across 110+ libraries, 8 million items in MaineCat. Interlibrary
requests, both outgoing and incoming, are handled in easy-to-manage
- Load Balancing: The size
and structure of MaineCat supports equitable distribution of requests
among libraries statewide
- Flexibility: Holdings may
be updated in batch mode if you can periodically supply new data records,
or interactively online using software supplied by the Maine InfoNet.
- Record "Bank": Copies of MARC data records bearing
your library's symbol may be extracted on request for use in a local
system or other local library projects.
Libraries participating in SOLAR are expected to:
Placing and Filling Requests
- Fill incoming requests regularly, whenever the library is open, checking for and filling requests at least once a week.
- Make non-circulating items available for in-house, walk-in use without charge.
- Participate in the statewide delivery systems for at least one day a week.
- Regularly export a marc file of items to load into SOLAR twice a year for currency or catalog directly into the Solar Millennium software. See Contributing records.
- Delete records for discarded and lost materials in a timely manner
-- no less than 3 times a year.
- Make available existing electronic records for loading into
- If records are not available initially for the entire collection,
add records for the rest of the collection through interactive editing
or other methods within 2 years of joining.
- Sign and send to the Maine State Library the Agreement to Participate document.
- Follow guidelines in use of SOLAR editing software.