Before you call the Unemployment Claims Center...
Call volumes at Unemployment Claims Center are very high - the best way to file for benefits or to find out the status of your claim is to use the online services links below. To reach the Unemployment Claims Center by phone, call 1-800-593-7660 between 8:00 AM and 4:45 PM Monday through Friday. Please keep in mind that Mondays are high call volume days with 20-30 minute wait times. Wait times drop significantly later in the week.
*** Unemployment System Upgrade Will Occur on Feb. 4 & 5. All Unemployment Claimants Must Have a Complete and Active Maine Job Bank Account ***
Claimants: Tips and information on how to prepare for the upgrade is available here: http://www.maine.gov/labor/news_events/article.shtml?id=636213 . The unemployment system, both the telephone claims system and the website claims systems, will be unavailable during the system upgrade, from approximately 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 4 through about 6 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015.
When the upgrade is complete, ALL individuals filing for unemployment will be checked for an active and complete Job Bank registration as part of filing your claim by phone or online. Your claim will not be processed without a complete and activated Job Bank registration. In particular, be using your account to search for work, including any of these specific actions: accepting a referral for a job that was returned from a job search you did in the Job Bank or from an emailed job notification you received, uploading a resume, and/or sending a resume to an employer. Also make sure that you have filled out the following fields (skipping fields may prevent your account from appearing as completed in the system): Job Category, Employment Type, Preferred Shift, Commute Distance (from zip code), Education Level. Learn about the requirement and get answers to frequently asked questions: http://www.maine.gov/labor/unemployment/mjb.html .
If you do not have an active or completed Job Bank account, you MUST register with the Maine Job Bank before filing a claim. If you have a complete Job Bank account that you are using in your job search, you will be able to file your claim more quickly after the upgrade and may avoid having to call the department. We expect significantly long wait times on the phone. We appreciate your patience. Activate your Job Bank account as soon as possible so you will not risk a delay in benefits. http://www.mainecareercenter.com
- What should I do if I become unemployed?
- I just filed my first claim now what?
- [more videos]
- Unemployment Claims Center: 1-800-593-7660
- Other unemployment contacts
- How to file for unemployment
- Information about the Maine Job Bank Requirement and Answer to Questions
- Rights and responsiblities for unemployment claimants
- Payment options - direct deposit or debit card
- Overview of the unemployment insurance program
- Laws and rules governing unemployment benefits
- Income tax information (1099G)
- 1/30/2015: Job Fair in Lewiston on February 2 at the CareerCenter
- 1/29/2015: Maine Department of Labor Advises Unemployment Claimants To Prepare for System Upgrade February 4 and 5
Unemployment Programs Available in Maine
- State Unemployment Insurance (UI) - for workers who have lost their job for reasons beyond their control.
- Workshare - for workers at qualified businesses experiencing a temporary slowdown in work.
- Other special programs - for workers laid-off from the military or Federal Government, people who lost their jobs due to foreign trade and natural disasters, and laid-off workers enrolled in training.