How to File Unemployment Benefits

You can file for unemployment benefits online, by telephone, or through the mail. Watch short videos that show you how to apply and what you have to do to receive benefits.

When you apply, you will need to have the following information available:

  • Your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number;
  • The business name, address and telephone number of each place you worked at during the past 18 months; and
  • The jobs you held and the dates you worked (for each employer).

Veterans who separated from the armed forces in the past 18 months will need to provide information from your DD-214. Federal civilian employees will need to provide information from your SF-8 or SF-50.

Once you have filed your claim, you will receive the Benefits Rights Booklet and weekly claim forms in the mail.

Filing Online

You can file online from any computer connected to the internet. If you don't have a computer at home, you can use computers at the CareerCenter or at many local libraries.

The website portal allows individuals to create an online unemployment account; manage their profile, including editing contact information, username, password, PIN number and security reset questions/answers; and access a forgotten PIN, username, or password using security questions/answers. Current unemployment claimants can view and print heir benefit history transcripts, view their claim status, manage the direct deposit of their benefit payment, reopen an existing account or file a weekly unemployment claim. New users can access the Maine Job Bank, and file an initial unemployment claim. Users can obtain benefit history transcript, often needed when applying for services from other agencies, for example, LiHeap.

Frequently Asked Questions for Claimants

Filing by Phone

Call the Unemployment Claims Center toll-free at: 1-800-593-7660 or TTY: Maine relay 711. If you need interpreter services, press the number "1" once you are connected to the Claims Center and tell the Claims Representative what language you speak.

Claims Center Wait Times: During periods of high call volumes, you may have a long wait time on the phone or get a message to call back later in the day. We apologize for the inconvenience. Wait times are typically shorter on Wednesdays and Thursdays and in the afternoon.

If you do not have a phone at home, you can call from your nearest CareerCenter.

Filing by Mail:

To file by mail, you will need to complete and submit the following forms:

  • Initial Application Form (B9.2)
  • Income Tax Witholding Form (W4-V)
  • Dependents Form (B-70)

Instructions for completing and mailing these applications are included with the forms. These forms are also available at your nearest CareerCenter.