- Bills and Resolutions
- Searchable and
browseable databases of legislative records about federal bills from the 93rd Congress (1973)
forward. Full-text for 101st (1989) forward. In 2014 Thimas will be replaced with Congress.gov (see below).
- Congress.gov - A beta database of U.S. legislative information that is slated to replace Thomas in 2014.
- Enactment of a Law (Thomas)
- Senate procedures described by the Parliamentarian of the Senate.
- Congressional Bills (FDSys) - Bills from the 103rd Congress (1993) forward.
- Government 101: How A Bill Becomes Law - From Project Vote Smart.
- History of Bills (GPO Access) - Section of the Congressional Record Index that provides information about all bills and resolves introduced.
- How Our Laws Are Made (Thomas) - House procedures revised and updated by the Parliamentarian of the House.
Public and Private Laws (FDSys)
- Links to catalogs of laws and a search form for laws from the 104th Congress (1994) forward.
Public Laws (Thomas)
- Links to public laws by law number from the 93rd Congress (1973) forward.
Q&A on US Laws and Code
Librarians' Society of D.C.)
- Answers to questions on finding newly-enacted laws and their codification.
- U.S. Code
- Form for searching the current version. Also includes links for searching prior versions and supplements of the Code back to 1988.
- Search form for specific citations and a list of titles for table of contents
browsing with links to a search engine and a table of popular names.
A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation:
U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates, 1774-1875
- Read a description of the collection.
Committee Reports (Thomas)
- Search form for the text of committee reports from the 104th Congress (1995-1996) forward with a link for browsing a list of committee reports.
Congressional Record (Thomas)
- Search form for the text of the Congressional Record from the 101st Congress (1989-1990) forward with links to search the index and browse by date.
Federal Legislative History Research
- Guide to compiling the documents and searching for legislative intent written by law librarians.
- Legislative Histories of Selected U.S. Laws in Electronic Format-
legislative histories compiled by the Law Librarians' Society of Washington,
D.C., Inc. as part of their Legislative Source Book. Use any ID for
login. Histories are listed either by popular name or by public law number.
Court, District of Maine
- Links to a listing by judge and a keyword search form.
Federal Court Locator - Links to federal opinions and rules provided as a service of Villanove School of Law.
FindLaw: Supreme Court Opinions, 1893 to date
- Forms for searching full text, citation, or party and links for browsing by
volume or year.
- First Circuit Opinions - Search for opinions by number, words in the title or by date published.
FLITE: Supreme Court Decisions, 1937-1975 - Forms for full text and party search for cases published in volumes 300 through 422 of US Reports.
Project - A U.S. Supreme Court multimedia database of opinions and abstracts from
Northwestern University. You can search by title, citation, date, or subject.
Supreme Court Opinions
- links to lists of cases by topic, author, and party; and a keyword search form.
- Covers all U.S. Supreme Court cases on the docket and includes
text, blog commentary, links to lower court opinions, oral argument transcript,
Supreme Court's Site
- Links to lists of cases by term.
- WashLaw - Links to federal courts.
- Federal Court Rules (LLRX) - Rules for all federal courts.
First Circuit Court of Appeals - Local rules.
U.S. Bankruptcy Court - District of Maine - Links to local rules.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine - Local rules.
- Code of Federal Regulations (FDSys) - Choose years from a drop-down menu.
- Code of Federal Regulations (Cornell) - Links to individual CFR titles and a search form for CFR headings.
Federal Register (FDSys) - Choose by year, starting with 1984.
Lists of CFR Sections Affected - Links for browsing or searching for changes to CFR parts since the last annual revision.
Q&A on Regulatory Research - Answers to questions on finding implementing regulations and locating the summary and rationale for a particular regulation.
- Regulations.gov - Search for a proposed or final rule or Federal Register notice from nearly 300 federal agencies. You can also sign up for RSS feeds or submit comments on regulations.
- Bill of Rights (Cornell) - Text and annotations for the first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
Bill of Rights (Nat'l Archives) - Part of the Charters of Freedom Exhibit. Includes downloadable high resolution images of the actual documents.
Core Documents of U.S. Democracy - Links to information relating to the history and interpretation of the Constitution and to other core documents, including the Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence, the Emancipation Proclamation, and the Gettysburg Address.
- U.S. Constitution (Cornell) - Links to the text of each article of the Constitution.