Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > About > Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I don’t have any documents when I cross the border at a land or sea port of entry?


Travelers should apply for approved travel documents as soon as possible, as it can take several weeks to receive a document that will comply with new requirements under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

CBP is committed to working with travelers to ensure they have access to and can obtain appropriate travel documents. U.S. and Canadian citizens who lack WHTI-compliant documents but are otherwise admissible will not be denied entry into the United States on June 1, 2009 and are encouraged to continue with their travel plans and to obtain facilitative and secure WHTI travel documents as soon as possible.

Travelers without the proper documents may be delayed while CBP officers work to confirm citizenship and identity.

For more travel information, go to

If your question isn't answered here, please contact us.

More Questions