Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > About > Frequently Asked Questions

Will boaters with an I-68 registration need a passport?


Boaters who have an I-68 form will still be required to abide by the new travel document requirements. Beginning June 1, 2009, Canadian Boat Landing (I-68) permits and Local Boater Option (LBO) registrations will only be issued to applicants presenting WHTI-compliant documents. I-68 permits and LBO registrations issued prior to June 1 will remain valid throughout 2009.

Please note that a NEXUS card is an alternative to a passport, and ensuring that you have either a NEXUS card or a passport will enable you to continue to use telephonic clearance procedures currently in place for I-68 holders.

An I-68 form is similar to any kind of vehicle registration, and is not an identity document or a travel document.

If your question isn't answered here, please contact us.

More Questions