- Learn how your community will alert you about emergencies.
- Subscribe to alert services for bad weather or local emergencies. Alerting devices for the hearing impaired are available through the Maine Center on Deafness at (207) 797-7656.
- Know the difference between weather watches and weather warnings and what you should do for each. NOAA weather radios can keep you informed.
- Identify local evacuation routes, transportation providers, warming/cooling centers, and regional shelters.
- Learn about the emergency plans put in place by your local schools, businesses, health care providers, etc.
- Think safety at all times: TURN AROUND when roads are flooded. Keep generators OUTSIDE. Be CAREFUL with candles and kerosene lamps. STAY AWAY from downed power lines.