> Tips > Do you have the tools you need to turn off your water or gas?
Do you have the tools you need to turn off your water or gas?
May 17, 2013
Attach any tool you would need, like a wrench or other specialty tool, to a pipe or other location close by the gas and water shut-off valves. Mark the valves clearly, with white or fluorescent paint so you can see them easily with a flashlight. You might also want to post a sign with clear instructions which way to turn them, or other special instructions. It's hard to remember even simple things in an emergency when you're under stress.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- April 23, 2014: Think safety while cleaning up from the winter
- April 22, 2014: Let the sun shine in
- April 21, 2014: If you had damage to your house or business, tell someone
- April 20, 2014: If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is
- April 19, 2014: Rise again
- April 18, 2014: Talk to your kids about things that might happen
- April 17, 2014: Help your neighbors weather the storm
- April 16, 2014: Question authority? Please, not during the storm
- April 15, 2014: Check your emergency supplies and family plan
- April 14, 2014: When storms are on the way: stay tuned
- April 13, 2014: This could be your lucky day
- April 12, 2014: We've got to start meeting like this
- April 11, 2014: Go back to school
- April 10, 2014: The best things in life are free
- April 9, 2014: Snacks for your car?
- April 8, 2014: Space blanket -- Bingo!
- April 7, 2014: Ice jams form and break without warning
- April 6, 2014: Unique needs = unique plans
- April 5, 2014: When the river is rising: does everyone hear and understand?
- April 4, 2014: Moms and grandmothers know a lot about emergencies
- April 3, 2014: Back to basics: Stay informed
- April 3, 2014: A flood can wash away your life
- April 1, 2014: Flooding is no April Fool
- March 31, 2014: Rain, rain and more rain
- March 30, 2014: Back to Basics: Where are those phone numbers?
- March 29, 2014: Back to Basics Think about what you have and what you need
- March 28, 2014: Back to Basics: Think about something bad ...
- March 27, 2014: You can help your neighbors by taking care of yourself
- March 26, 2014: Who's picking up the kids in an emergency?
- March 25, 2014: Flood waters + cars = People dying