> Tips > Do you have the tools you need to turn off your water or gas?
Do you have the tools you need to turn off your water or gas?
May 17, 2013
Attach any tool you would need, like a wrench or other specialty tool, to a pipe or other location close by the gas and water shut-off valves. Mark the valves clearly, with white or fluorescent paint so you can see them easily with a flashlight. You might also want to post a sign with clear instructions which way to turn them, or other special instructions. It's hard to remember even simple things in an emergency when you're under stress.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- June 19, 2013: Keep a list of freezer contents posted on the freezer door
- June 18, 2013: Can you hear me now?
- June 17, 2013: Trim those trees.
- June 15, 2013: Get a lot of preparedness for a little investment
- June 15, 2013: Learn CPR and First Aid
- June 14, 2013: Lightning kills, play it safe
- June 13, 2013: Start with a list of phone numbers
- June 12, 2013: Don't leave that candle in the window
- June 11, 2013: Safety is a state of mind
- June 10, 2013: Crank it up and save on batteries
- June 10, 2013: When it's hot out there, stay cool and hydrated
- June 8, 2013: Take your first steps to preparedness for free
- June 7, 2013: Sometimes it takes a village
- June 5, 2013: Stay away from rushing water
- June 4, 2013: Share your summer vacation with NOAA Weather Radio
- June 3, 2013: Set up an appointment to review your insurance.
- June 2, 2013: Where are all your flashlights?
- June 1, 2013: Hurricane season begins today
- May 31, 2013: Quick, what are your emergency phone numbers?
- May 30, 2013: Listen to the weather report today
- May 29, 2013: Take pictures of your damaged home before you clean up.
- May 28, 2013: Pay attention to news and alerts.
- May 27, 2013: Make emergency arrangements for your pets
- May 26, 2013: Post emergency contacts near all telephones
- May 25, 2013: Pick two emergency meeting places for your family
- May 24, 2013: Pick an out-of-town emergency contact for your family.
- May 23, 2013: Learn how to turn off the utilities in your home.
- May 22, 2013: Take a picture of yourself with your pets
- May 21, 2013: Learn about emergency plans at work and school
- May 20, 2013: Is emergency planning your business?