> Tips > Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
November 26, 2013
If you're traveling this Thanksgiving weekend, take these tips from the Maine State Police. Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter weather with winter tread tires, updated windshield wipers, and that the heater, defroster, lighting and battery are in good working order. Equip your vehicle with a blanket, shovel, booster cables, flares and a bucket of sand or salt for winter emergencies. Motorists needing help can call 911 on their cellular phone to be connected to the nearest State Police communications center. And finally, if you're driving, be well rested, avoid drinking and driving and expect some delays during the weekend.
Thanksgiving is a wonderful but surprisingly dangerous holiday! Check out our Turkey Day Safety fact sheet
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- July 24, 2014: Watch your watches and warnings
- July 23, 2014: What needs would you or your family have in an emergency?
- July 22, 2014: Keep a copy of important papers outside your home
- July 21, 2014: Camp securely in a safe tent
- July 20, 2014: Summer sun is warm: make sure it doesn't burn
- July 19, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Keep your eyes open
- July 18, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Do you own a boat?
- July 17, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Floods kill people during hurricanes
- July 16, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Storm surge is not for surfers
- July 15, 2014: Hurricane Awareness: Is your home at risk?
- July 14, 2014: New England Hurricane Awareness
- July 13, 2014: Make this 13th the Luckiest One so far!
- July 12, 2014: Practice your evacuation route
- July 11, 2014: Life. Unplugged. Ready for three days without power?
- July 10, 2014: Always put campfires out
- July 9, 2014: Are we having a heat wave?
- July 8, 2014: It's hot! Make sure your pets are not.
- July 7, 2014: Check on your neighbors during hot weather
- July 6, 2014: Keep your cool when it's too darn hot!
- July 5, 2014: Use gas grills safely
- July 4, 2014: Make sure it's only the food that gets broiled.
- July 3, 2014: Summer brings barbecues; use grills safely
- July 2, 2014: What's the weather going to be today?
- July 1, 2014: So you think we don't have tornadoes in Maine?
- June 30, 2014: Make sure those alerts keep on coming
- June 29, 2014: On a beautiful day in the neighborhood, prepare for when it's not
- June 28, 2014: Just because you saw it on the Internet doesn't mean it's true
- June 27, 2014: But I didn't know it was going to rain!
- June 26, 2014: When thunder roars, go indoors!
- June 25, 2014: Do a battery inventory