Go over the river and through the woods -- safely
November 26, 2014
If you're traveling this Thanksgiving weekend, take these tips from the Maine State Police. Make sure your vehicle is ready for winter weather with winter tread tires, updated windshield wipers, and that the heater, defroster, lighting and battery are in good working order. Equip your vehicle with a blanket, shovel, booster cables, flares and a bucket of sand or salt for winter emergencies. Motorists needing help can call 911 on their cellular phone to be connected to the nearest State Police communications center. And finally, if you're driving, be well rested, avoid drinking and driving and expect some delays during the weekend.
Thanksgiving is a wonderful but surprisingly dangerous holiday! Check out our Turkey Day Safety fact sheetSign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- February 28, 2015: Go ahead, take the day off
- February 27, 2015: I love it when a plan comes together
- February 26, 2015: Layer up for warmth
- February 25, 2015: Drive within your headlights
- February 24, 2015: Dress in layers for the latest in fashion safety
- February 23, 2015: Most of us don't drive the Daytona 500
- February 22, 2015: Keep your wood stove and furnace vents apart
- February 21, 2015: Keep fire safety in mind when using a wood stove or heater
- February 20, 2015: Safe snowmobiling is even more fun
- February 19, 2015: What special help can you give?
- February 18, 2015: The simplest emergency plan is a list of phone numbers
- February 17, 2015: Take care digging out
- February 16, 2015: Make safety and emergency planning your business
- February 15, 2015: Some things just don't get better with age
- February 14, 2015: Love will help you weather the storm
- February 13, 2015: Always use alternate heaters safely.
- February 12, 2015: Cold weather is hard on your heart
- February 11, 2015: In cold weather, eat and drink wisely
- February 10, 2015: Bundle up your house to conserve heat
- February 9, 2015: The power of two
- February 8, 2015: All of us are stronger than one of us
- February 7, 2015: When does taking care of yourself help your neighbors?
- February 6, 2015: Button up that overcoat when the wind blows free
- February 5, 2015: Stay right side up on ice and snow
- February 4, 2015: Quick, if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, what should you do?
- February 3, 2015: You won't see it or smell it, but it can kill you
- February 2, 2015: Warmth comes in layers
- February 1, 2015: Super Sunday: Make sure your pets are super safe
- January 31, 2015: It's cold! Think woodstove safety
- January 30, 2015: Wood stoves and furnaces don't play well together in the same chimney