Be good to your oil tank
March 7, 2014
Here are some wise words from Tom the Spill Responder (Tom Varney from Maine DEP):
"Every year in Maine frost heaves and falling ice and snow cause hundreds of oil spills from outside heating oil tanks. I've seen the mess they make of backyards, basements and wells. Clean up means lots of digging once the snow melts. Property values fall. Costs mount up. So, protect yourself. Talk to your oil dealer about installing a simple filter protector...and about mounting your tank on a regulation slab. It's worth it".
For more information, visit http://www.mainedep.comSign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- September 30, 2014: Celebrate a beautiful fall day by enjoying it with your family
- September 29, 2014: Flood insurance might be your best investment
- September 28, 2014: What's invisible, odorless and can kill you?
- September 27, 2014: Listen to your kids when it comes to safety
- September 26, 2014: Hands off! To avoid colds or flu
- September 25, 2014: Be prepared for automobile emergencies
- September 24, 2014: Keep a copy of your personal address/phone book
- September 23, 2014: Keep a list of medications for everyone in your family
- September 22, 2014: A bracelet can mean much more than jewelry
- September 21, 2014: Some things can never be replaced
- September 20, 2014: A picture is worth a thousand words
- September 19, 2014: Get the facts about the flu
- September 18, 2014: A communications compass helps families who are spread out over the map
- September 17, 2014: Would a major disaster affect your business?
- September 16, 2014: It's barely fall, but winter is around the corner
- September 15, 2014: Stop at the cash machine on your way home tonight
- September 14, 2014: Remember why we're preparing for emergencies
- September 13, 2014: There's a nip in the air. Check your wood stove for safety
- September 12, 2014: Stop, look and listen
- September 11, 2014: On this day of remembrance, remember also yourself and your family
- September 10, 2014: Make sure your generator is properly installed
- September 9, 2014: Plan now for an investment in safety
- September 8, 2014: Find out about your workplace emergency plan
- September 7, 2014: Where are those important papers, anyway?
- September 6, 2014: You don't need to give the shirt off your back
- September 5, 2014: Does a tropical depression mean being sad in Bermuda?
- September 4, 2014: It may be football season, but it's hurricane season too!
- September 3, 2014: When your community needs help, that help could be you
- September 2, 2014: If you want to volunteer, get ready now
- September 1, 2014: What does National Preparedness Month mean to you?