> Tips > Speed kills, not snow or ice
Speed kills, not snow or ice
October 26, 2013
Automobile accidents are the leading cause of deaths and injuries during and after winter storms. While snow and ice contribute to the slippery conditions, vehicle speed is the single most important factor in determining the likelihood of a death or serious injury from an automobile accident. Under certain conditions, roads can get extremely icy from an inch or less of snow, or from freezing drizzle. Patchy black ice, even days after a storm, can be a significant hazard. Many of these hazards are not apparent until it is too late. SLOW DOWN before your vehicle begins to slip and slide. Remember, snow and ice can cause accidents, but vehicle speed kills.
Sign up to receive our Daily Safety and Preparedness Tips
- August 27, 2014: Floods kill people during hurricanes
- August 26, 2014: Storm surge is not for surfers
- August 25, 2014: Ready, set, get out of your house!
- August 24, 2014: Learn how to "turn off" your house
- August 23, 2014: Use anti-flea products for your pets safely
- August 22, 2014: Think green for chemical safety
- August 21, 2014: Keep the Poison Center number handy
- August 20, 2014: Some things should never mix
- August 19, 2014: Are your cupboards poisonous?
- August 18, 2014: Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink
- August 17, 2014: Don't be afraid to tell your kids you're afraid
- August 16, 2014: Watch the news, then turn off the TV
- August 15, 2014: Take control in an emergency
- August 14, 2014: Your emergency plan is all about you
- August 13, 2014: Hunt for hidden hazards
- August 12, 2014: Tune your mind to the Safety Channel
- August 11, 2014: Protect your important papers
- August 10, 2014: Does your phone work when the power goes out?
- August 9, 2014: If it's in your emergency food supply, will your kids eat it?
- August 8, 2014: Practice makes perfect
- August 7, 2014: Asking for help is a sign of independence.
- August 6, 2014: Find out how your town would alert you in an emergency
- August 5, 2014: What does your grandmother know that you don't?
- August 4, 2014: What's in your wallet?
- August 4, 2014: Serve emergency awareness with dinner tonight
- August 2, 2014: When it's hot out there: take care
- August 1, 2014: August heat breeds August storms: take them seriously
- July 31, 2014: Campfire safety starts with building it right
- July 30, 2014: Rotate your water supply and always have a cool drink
- July 29, 2014: Safe boating starts with anticipating the weather