File a Complaint

Have Problems With Your Utility? You Can Complain!

If you have a problem with a utility that affects only you, you should make a complaint to the Consumer Assistance Division (CAD) of the Public Utilities Commission. CAD's number is 800-452-4699 or submit your complaint directly online to CAD. If your problem involves at least ten people (having 10 separate accounts with the utility), Maine law provides that the PUC shall consider an investigation when ten or more people file a complaint against a utility. The general format of a ten-person complaint is illustrated below. The Public Advocate has made available a customizable ten-person complaint form below. Should you desire assistance in drafting a ten-person complaint, the Public Advocate is here to help you. Feel free to call us at 207-287-2445.

Sample form

Ten-person Complaint form

SAMPLE - Please use your own words and provide relevant details

Ten-Person Complaint Pursuant to 35-A M.R.S.A. Section 1302

WE, the undersigned complainants are customers of [Name of Company]. In recent months, we have experienced [list problems - e.g., frequent power outages, voltage fluctuations, increase in rates, poor telephone service, unfair competition by a utility, etc. causing [list harms]. We have complained to [Name of Company] on [list number of occasions] and the problems have not been corrected. We urge the Public Utilities Commission to open an investigation for the purpose of identifying the causes of [Name of Company] -- for instance .............

WE hereby request that the Maine Public Utilities Commission promptly investigate this complaint and take all necessary action to satisfy this complaint.


Utility Acc. #

Telephone Number




Utility Acc. #

Telephone Number

Printed Name


If you have already completed the ten-person complaint form you may also get information on how to prepare for a public hearing regarding your regulated utility.