#51 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333 | Phone: 207.624.6290 | Fax: 207.624.8729 | Maine Relay 711 | Visitor Information
Home →File a Complaint
File a Complaint
WHO MAY FILE
- Any person who believes that he or she has been subjected to unlawful discrimination covered under the Maine Human Rights Act may file a complaint with the Commission.
WHEN TO FILE
- A complaint should be filed with the Maine Human Rights Commission as soon as possible after the act of discrimination occurs.
- A complaint must be filed within 300 days of the date of discrimination.
HOW TO FILE
- Complaints of discrimination may be filed in person or by mail by filling out a form provided by the Commission.
- A complaint of discrimination must be sworn to under oath before a Notary Public or other person authorized by law to administer oaths.
WHERE TO FILE
- Complaints of discrimination must be filed at the office of the Maine Human Rights Commission, 51 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0051.
HOW TO START THE PROCESS
- A complaint may be initiated by calling, writing, or visiting the Commission's office. An Electronic Intake Questionnaire Form may be completed, and submitted online. Alternative formats are made available. An Intake Officer will assist you with drafting a complaint once your form has been reviewed.
- A complaint should briefly set forth the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged discrimination.