#51 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333 | Phone: 207.624.6290 | Fax: 207.624.8729 | Maine Relay 711 | Visitor Information
Home → File a Complaint
File a Complaint
WHO MAY FILE
- Any person who believes that he or she has been subjected to unlawful discrimination covered under the Maine Human Rights Act may file a complaint with the Commission.
WHEN TO FILE
- A complaint should be filed with the Maine Human Rights Commission as soon as possible after the act of discrimination occurs.
- A complaint must be filed within 300 days of the date of discrimination.
HOW TO FILE
- Complaints of discrimination may be filed in person or by mail by filling out a form provided by the Commission.
- A complaint of discrimination must be sworn to under oath before a Notary Public or other person authorized by law to administer oaths.
WHERE TO FILE
- Complaints of discrimination must be filed at the office of the Maine Human Rights Commission, 51 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333-0051.
HOW TO START THE PROCESS
- A complaint may be initiated by calling, writing, or visiting the Commission's office. A GENERAL INTAKE QUESTIONNAIRE FORM may be completed, and submitted. An Intake Officer will assist you with drafting a complaint. If your complaint is related to Housing discrimination please fill out the HOUSING INTAKE FORM.
- A complaint should briefly set forth the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged discrimination.