Sample Library Policies
Memorandum of Understanding - [Word, 25 KB] this document should be used whenever two legal entities, such as a non-profit library and a town, agree to share responsibility for any functions such as payroll or building maintenance. This sample can be modified to fit your library's unique situation.
Library Policies Templates
- Complete policy template - [Word, 127 KB] includes Collection Development, Facilities, Circulation, Reference Services, Internet and Public Computers, Patron Conduct, and Volunteer Policies. Just download the document and add your library's name in the blanks.
Sample Personnel Policies
Thanks to the following libraries for sharing their policies.
- Camden Public Library, Camden, ME: Library cards, reserving materials, library materials selection, many other policies
- Scarborough Public Library, Scarborough, ME: Behavior, renewals, public computer guidelines, many other policies
- Wells Public Library, Wells, ME: Internet use, circulation, many other policies.
- Gray Public Library, [Word, 33 KB] This file requires either Microsoft Word 2003 or the Word Viewer.
- Maine State Library - Materials selection & collection development, internet use, photocopying, beverage use and more
- Sample user agreement for borrowing an e-reader [pdf]; Word version agreement
- Portland Public Lending Program quidelines
- Mentor Public library Guidelines; Mentor Public Library agreement [Ohio]
- See school agreements, policies, handbook statements, parental waivers
- e-Reader Loan Program - FAQs
Resources Related to Policies
Additional Policies and Information
- Library Card and Borrowing - San Diego Public Library
- Skype Policy Template [Word, 29.5KB]
- Collection Development - Arizona State Library
- Fort Bend County Libraries policies: Links to services and library policies: material selection, internet use, meeting room, disruptive behavior and unattended children, and exhibits, displays, and distribution of free materials.
- Molding Effective Internet Policies by Cynthia K. Richey, Computer and Libraries, June, 2002
- Safe Harbor: Policies and Procedures for a Safe Library, Sample policies & procedures about patron behavior
- Wisconsin Public Library Policy Resources Page: Sample policies by type (farther down the page)