Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board Bylaws
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the organization shall be the Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board.
The purpose of the Executive Board shall be to coordinate the workings of the District Council.
- Develop, propose, and review district-wide programs of service with approval of the council.
- Develop, propose, and review the comprehensive district plan.
- Represent the needs of the District to the Maine Library Commission, the State Librarian, the Director of Library Development, and other officials and organizations.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Composition
The Executive Board shall be composed of nine members of the District Council, with this membership coming from an equitable distribution of library types and geographic areas and including librarians, trustees, and lay persons. The District Consultant, the Director of the Area Reference and Resource Center, the Maine State Librarian, the Director of Library Development from the Maine State Library, and the District Representative to the Maine Library Commission shall sit with the Board in an ex-officio, non-voting capacity.
Section 2: Selection of Representatives
Nominees for board vacancies shall be solicited from the northeastern Maine library community. An effort shall be made to find nominees that reflect an equitable geographic representation of the region. Nominees shall be reviewed by the Nominating Committee and the Committee’s recommendations shall be presented for Council approval at the Spring Council meeting.
Section 3: Terms of Office
Terms of office shall be three years, beginning and ending with the Spring Council Meeting. No member shall serve more than two successive full terms
Section 4: Vacancies
If a vacancy occurs, the Executive Board may appoint a replacement to fill the unexpired term.
Section 5: Duties of Members
- Attend all Executive Board meetings and District Council meetings
- Be informed about the NMLD’s mission, strategic objectives, and services
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Executive Board meetings and be prepared to discuss
- Serve on committees and offer to take on special assignments
- Take minutes of Executive Board meetings
- Keep constituent libraries and library boards informed about NMLD
- Suggest to the Nominating Committee possible nominees
- Keep current on developments affecting Maine libraries
- Assist the Executive Board in developing its annual strategic plan
- Participate in evaluating the Executive Board’s effectiveness
Section 6: Attendance
When a Board member misses three consecutive meetings a vacancy may be declared.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
Section 1: Composition
The officers of the Executive Board shall consist of a Chair and Vice-Chair.
Section 2: Terms of Office
The term for each office shall be one year. Officers are elected by a simple majority vote of Executive Board members at the first Board meeting following the Spring District Council meeting.
Section 3: Duties of the Officers
- All officers of the Executive Board shall also serve as officers of the District Council.
- The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Board and District Council and shall perform all other duties customarily associated with this office.
- The Vice Chair shall preside at all meetings in the absence of the Chair, assist the District Consultant with program arrangements for District Council meetings and other District functions, and shall perform other duties customarily associated with this office.
- Serve on the District Liaison Committee.
ARTICLE V: MEETINGS
Section 1: Regular Meetings
Meetings of the Board may be called by the Chair or any three members and shall not occur fewer than THREE times per calendar year plus an annual meeting.
Section 2: Quorum
Five voting members constitute a quorum. In the absence of a quorum, motions may be tabled or put out for a vote via email within a designated time frame.
Section 3: Voting Procedures
Motions are passed by simple majority. Votes may be taken either in person or via email.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
Section 1: Composition
The Executive Board Chair shall appoint the Chair of each standing committee from the Executive Board at the first Executive Board meeting immediately following the fall council meeting. Each standing committee chair shall select individuals to serve for one year. Members of committees may be Northeastern Maine Library District Executive Board members or may come from the general membership of the District. Standing committees include Public Relations, Nominating, and Programming. Each committee shall consist of at least three members. Committee business will be reported to the Executive Board and to the meetings of the District Council.
Section 2: Committee Formation
The Chair shall appoint such other committees as are necessary with the advice and consent of the Board.
ARTICLE VII: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Meetings shall be conducted in accordance with ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER.
ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended by simple majority vote of those members present and voting at a regular meeting provided the amendment has been submitted in writing to the Board at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
Adopted November 30, 2012