MARVEL!, Maine's virtual library, provides every resident of Maine with access to a collection of full text and abstracts from magazines, newspapers and reference books that are credible, reputable resources.
Narrated Powerpoint Presentations (PPT) by Stephanie Zurinski, Central Maine Library Consultant. The PDF files below require the free Adobe Reader.
- Introduction to MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 129 KB]
- Navigating MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 159 KB]
- Searching MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 221 KB]
- Hobbies & Crafts via MARVEL; slides & notes [PDF, 339 KB]
- Maine Resources in Marvel; slides & notes [PDF1.34 MB]
- Encyclopedia Britannica; slides & notes [PDF, 307 KB]
Remember that Ancestry Library Edition is available ONLY from within a public library]. There is NO access from home like other MARVEL resources.
- Ancestry.com narrated presentations and other resources
Please use any resource related to MARVEL! here for your students and patrons. Feel to add your school or public library contact information and copy what you want.
Handouts from MARVEL training
Some files on the rest of this page are provided in PDF or Microsoft Word formats. To view PDF documents, you will need the free Adobe Reader. To view MS Word documents, you will need Microsoft Word or the free Word Viewer.
- Directions to register.pdf (PDF, 210 KB), Directions to register as a remote user (Word 2007, 190 KB)
- Customize a complete guide for your own library! Download MARVEL guide [Word,559 KB]; PDF version [PDF, 601 KB]
- Screen shot of remote login that users see (ex. home use )
- Screen shot of current registration page for remote access
- Tips for Promotion - Brochure sample
- Ancestry posters, webinars and other resources
- Large MARVEL! poster.pdf (PDF, 78.8 KB), Large MARVEL! poster.doc (Word, 542 K)
- Small (8 x11) MARVEL! poster.pdf (PDF 77.1 KB), Small (8 x11) MARVEL! poster.doc (Word 757.0 KB)
- Bookmarks with Maine.pdf (PDF, 196 KB), Bookmarks with Maine.pub (Publisher, 518 KB) , Bookmarks with Maine. doc (Word, 787 KB)
- Bookmarks with man.pdf (PDF, 59.5 KB), Bookmarks with man.pub (Publisher, 700 KB), Bookmarks with man.doc (Word 787 KB)
Adding MARVEL! icon to the desktop
Yes, you may put a link anywhere you like with certain requirements:
- Your website
- An icon on computer desktops in your building
- Email signatures
- MARVEL! is for use within Maine only.
- MARVEL! link must only be to the MARVEL! home page ( http://www.maine.gov/marvel ) and not directly to any of the individual databases themselves.
- Use only the copyright @ icon, available in different sizes: (100 x 39 pixels)
- Icons below. (This MARVEL! logo was created by a New Century Grant)
Directions to add icon to a web page:
- To save MARVEL! for your web page or computer desktop, right click on it or control-click and then choose "Save Picture As" or "Save Image as" to your computer. Navigate to a location on your computer to save this image. It's best to save your images in an image folder inside your web site folder.
- Please follow the directions for your web editor since "inserting an image" can be different for software.
- General: Align cursor where you want the image placed.
- Select the "Insert" or "Insert Image".
- Browse to the location on your computer where you saved the MARVEL! image and select it.
- Be sure to upload this image to your web server so the image will show. Web browser do link to this image for displaying.
- Add alternative or "alt" text for any image on your web pages. "ALT" text makes information about the image available to visually-impaired users. Follow directions for ALT for your web editor or add alt="MARVEL! logo" or alt="MARVEL! Maine's Virtual Library" within the image tag of the HTML code.To use MARVEL! as a link, choose the image and follow the directions of your web editor.
- Need to remove the blue border around "MARVEL!" image when it is a link? Set the image tag attribute border to zero. Example: <a href="http://www.maine.gov/marvel"><img src="marvel3.gif" alt="MARVEL! logo" border="0"> </a>.