SMLD's ARRC - Area Reference and Resource Center and Interlibrary Loan
The Portland Public Library is the Area Reference & Resource Center (ARRC) for the Southern Maine Library District. The ARRC is funded by legislative appropriations and county services.
PPL provides three services for SMLD member libraries:
- Interlibrary Loan
- SMLD member libraries may request books, audiovisual material, and photocopies of periodical articles through the PPL website or via OCLC. Call the ILL office at (207) 871-1735 or visit the PPL website above for further information about ILL requesting, shipping, renewals and other details.
- Backup Reference
- SMLD member libraries may call, write, fax, or visit the PPL Reference Department for assistance in answering patron queries after local resources have been exhausted. The staff includes generalists as well as subject specialists in government documents, serials, local and Maine history, and AV. Contact the Reference Desk at (207) 871-1725 for more information.
- Free Borrower Cards
- Free library cards are available on a walk-in basis at all PPL branches to individuals who can provide photo identification and proof of current address and fall into at least one of the following residency categories:
- Residents of the Southern Maine Library District including Cumberland, York, and the following Oxford County towns: Brownfield, Denmark, Fryeburg, Hiram and Lovell (5 years of age & up)
- Full-time students attending schools in these counties
- Individuals listed as property taxpayers in Portland
- Individuals working in Portland
PALS or Partner Agency LibrarieS can issue Portland Public Library cards to their local patrons, enabling community members to use PPL?s online services like OverDrive EBook downloads, Mango Languages and Heritage Quest Online. To qualify as a PALS participant, libraries must be members of the Southern Maine Library District and be willing to send a staff member to PPL?s Main Branch for a one-hour orientation. For more information about joining PALS, please contact Sage at (207)871-1700, ext. 733.